Rendang is a flavourful West Sumatran dry curry dish which is originated from Indonesia. A variety of spices and coconut milk is mixed and stewed to create a thick and creamy texture. While rendang is usually cooked with chicken, it also pairs well with beef. In this article, we’ve provided you with a recipe of beef rendang, a must-have during Hari Raya.
Beef Rendang Recipe for Hari Raya:
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp grounded coriander seed
- ¼ tsp grounded turmeric
- 2.5 cm fresh ginger, roughly chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 200g shallots, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp chilli pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 900g beef shanks, cut into large cubes
- 2 stalks lemongrass, smashed
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 2.5cm galangal, sliced into coins
- 2 packs coconut cream powder or 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar or brown sugar
- Add salt, coriander, turmeric, ginger, garlic, shallots, and chilli flakes into a blender and blend the ingredients until a smooth spice paste is created. Set the paste aside.
- Add oil to a wok and heat over medium-high heat. Then, fry the beef in batches. Transfer the fried beef into a bowl and set aside.
- Add lemongrass, lime leaves, and galangal into the hot oil and fry until fragrant. Then, transfer them into the same bowl with the fried beef, leaving the oil in the wok.
- Turn down the heat to medium-low and add the spice paste into the wok. Saute and stir constantly until fragrant, or until the paste thickens. Then, stir in the coconut cream powder in 2 cups of water and add them into a pot along with the sugar.
- Place the fried beef and herbs into the pot and stir well. Then, turn the heat down to medium-low and cover the pot with a lid. Let the mixture simmer for about 1 to 2 hours until the meat is very tender. Stir the mixture every 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once the meat is tender, remove the lid and turn up the heat. Stir the dish constantly to avoid burning and cook for another 10 minutes. The dish is then ready to be served.
There you have a simple recipe of beef rendang to refer to during Hari Raya. If you need more recipes of Hari Raya dishes, check out the recipe of Cauliflower Hummus Burger!
Alternatively, discover more food choices on foodpanda, and have your Hari Raya dishes delivered right to your doorstep!