Murukku is a popular Indian snack that is made with rice flour, chickpea flour, and spices. It is typically deep-fried and has a crispy texture. Murukku can be made in a variety of shapes and sizes and is often flavoured with herbs and spices.
This recipe for beetroot and carrot murukku is a healthy and delicious twist on the classic snack. The beetroot and carrot add vibrant colour and flavour to the murukku, and they are also packed with nutrients.
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup grated beetroot
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup water
- In a large bowl, combine the rice flour, chickpea flour, beetroot, carrot, salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin seeds, and sesame seeds.
- Add the water and mix well until the dough comes together.
- Fill a murukku maker with the dough and press it out into small spirals.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat.
- Deep-fry the murukku for 2-3 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the murukku from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- If you don’t have a murukku maker, you can use a Ziploc bag with the corner cut-off to pipe the dough into spirals.
- To make a spicier murukku, add more red chilli powder.
- You can also add other vegetables to the murukku, such as spinach, green onions, or bell peppers.
- Murukku can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week.
Missing some ingredients? Let foodpanda take care of that! Check out our grocery delivery service and get all the ingredients for Murukku delivered to you. Enjoy!