Boxing day is a day after Christmas, after a busy day with having fun and enjoying quality time with family. Either you like enjoying a quiet day at home after all the fuss or chill around the town, Boxing Day has many ways for people to celebrate traditionally.
The tradition starts years ago where people tend to give money as a gift to people who provide you services throughout the year especially servants to show some appreciation or to help people indeed or less fortunate than you.
You can donate your money to any channel as long as you are sincere. Boxing day somehow will help or teach you to appreciate little things those who help you with a small, simple gift in lieu of money.
Boxing Day really gives a big lesson to everyone, where we learn to appreciate whatever we have around us. Helping people and of course, not wasting your leftover dinner. There’s a lot of good things we can do on boxing day, as small as giving a smile to people.
Boxing day usually uses quick and straightforward recipes that only made of leftover food from your Christmas dinner. Here are simple recipes that you can check out;
1. Leftover pecan pie bread pudding
Pecan pie is actually pie without a crust where the filling is poured generously over the bread before bake. The crispy and crunchy texture on the outside combined with a creamy and smooth texture on the inside make this economical pudding turns to luxurious pudding. You never expect that your leftover pecan can be remade to a new delicious menu.
- 1- cups ½ inches leftover dinner rolls
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Two eggs
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- 3 slices leftover pecans pie
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 180 Celsius.
- Spread the bread pieces on a greased baking dish.
- Bake the bread until golden and tossed halfway around 15 minutes. Chill them aside.
- Mix evaporated milk, milk, sugar, vanilla, eggs, nutmeg and salt in a bowl and whisked it together. Toss and combine the chilled bread with the mixture until thoroughly soaked for 30 minutes.
- Stir pecan pies into the mixture and put on the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until set brown. Chill for a few minutes before ready to serve with vanilla ice cream.
A hearty meal can be made with only using the leftover bit from bread and cheese. You can put as many as meat, leafy greens, cheese or bread in the recipes. Your mom is going to put everything left from the dinner into the strata.
- Six eggs
- 1 ½ cups milk
- Pinch of grounded nutmeg
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp grounded black pepper
- Three handful leafy greens.
- 2 ½ cup bread (torn)
- ¾ cup cheese
Steps of making:
- Preheat oven to 180 Celsius
- Put egg, milk, nutmeg, cayenne, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk together.
- Slowly fold greens, meat, cheese and bread into the mixture.
- Put into a greased baking dish and top with more cheese.
- Cover the bowl with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- When strata are puffed and golden, uncover the bowl and let it cool for 15 minutes. Your everything-goes-into-strata is ready to eat
3. Turkey tortilla soup
This comforting bowl of soup is just ordinary soup that catches everyone heart. It’s been everyone choices of the menu on boxing day since every Christmas dinner serves turkey. This quick and simple soup doesn’t need so much, you can just chop your vegetables randomly and throw in the pan.
You will surprise by the taste and didn’t expect to have a little different soup that gives you a great feeling and might be the best version of soup you ever tried. This spicy soup that provides a little Mexican flavour is paired quite well with the crunchy and smooth texture.
This is something that you will miss every year and can’t wait for the boxing day. Here is the recipe of making the Turkey tortilla soup;
- Two tbs vegetable oil
- One tbs chilli powder
- Two cloves garlic (sliced)
- One onion (chopped)
- One chipotle (minced)
- 4 cups turkey stocks
- 500g can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups tortilla chips
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 2 cups shredded turkey (cooked)
- Lime juices (2 limes)
- ¼ Mexican blend cheese
- ½ fresh cilantro
- One avocado(sliced)
- Over the medium heat, heat the oil in a saucepan.
- Slowly add chilli powder, garlic, onion, chipotle and salt. Stir until the onions for 5 minutes.
- Add turkey stocks, tomatoes, half cup water and half the tortilla chips and heat until boiling.
- Slightly reduce the heat and let simmer. Uncovered the pan until soup reduced somewhat about 25 minutes.
- Mix the corn with the soup for 5 minutes.
- Stir the turkey and lime juice and remove from the heat. Add more salt if necessary for seasoning.
- Top the soup with cheese, cilantro, and tortilla chips. Your delightful soup is ready to eat warmly.
There are many ways of celebrating boxing day. You can observe it comfortably. Either going out and do some activities or charities or you can enjoy your day at home, make a warmth meal that helps to warmth yourselves in the cold day.
Choosing the best meals or comfort meals are the perfect decision you will ever make. It is not just about yourselves, but all the kindness you could at least do to help out people or at least you could do is appreciating the leftover Christmas dinner.
It is all about simple food that needs creativity. Don’t throw your leftover food and waste it. You could make tasty food with the leftover.
Explore foodpanda for more recipes for any celebrations and don’t waste your food!