Garlic Parsley Potatoes is a simple meal made out of red potatoes, garlic, salt, butter and parsley. The main ingredients of this dish are potatoes, garlic and parsley.
The dish is best eaten as a side dish with white or brown rice for an even more filling meal. The potatoes are commonly added to steak, fried eggs and fried chicken.
What is Garlic Parsley Potatoes?
Garlic Parsley Potatoes mainly constitutes of red potatoes, garlic, salt, butter and parsley. The entire meal requires at least an hour to make as the potato needs that amount of time to roast.
Pieces of meat, such as beef or chicken slices can be used to enhance the flavours of the dish and add some protein into the meal. The red potatoes are first boiled above high heat for about 1 hour in a large pot.
Smashed garlic and melted butter will then be added to coat the surface of the potatoes. Lastly, sprinkle some salt and parsley on top of the red potatoes to enhance the flavours of the dish. The amount of garlic added can be adjusted depending on personal taste and flavours.
Should You Use Red Potatoes or White Potatoes to Prepare the Dish?
Red potatoes have a more solid texture compared to white potatoes that have a creamier texture. Cooking-wise, red potatoes taste better when it is boiled whole while white potatoes are consumed best when it is fried or grilled.
Thus, red potatoes are highly recommended if you decide to boil the potatoes. Also, white potatoes are recommended to be used if you want to roast the potatoes. However, any potatoes that are available in your home can be used to prepare the dish.
From red potatoes, white potatoes, russets or even sweet potatoes, if you decide to use any other potatoes, other than red potatoes, then it is recommended that you roast the potatoes to cook this dish.
Tips for Cooking the Garlic Parsley Potatoes
- Imperfections found on the potatoes should be removed by cutting it off from the potatoes. To improve the appearance of the potatoes, the ends of the potatoes can be cut off.
- Potatoes that have a low starch level are highly recommended to be used as they can remain in the same shape when boiled.
- Potatoes that are perfectly boiled can be determined by piercing each potato with a fork to decide whether or not it is easily penetrated. When you can pick the potato up with your fork, it shows that the potatoes are cooked throughout and all over.
- Parsleys can be replaced with chives, fresh oregano or even fresh dill.
- If the surface of the potatoes is brown from oxidation, it can still be consumed and used for cooking.
- Prevent potatoes from oxidising by immersing the potatoes in water before you decide to use them for cooking. Peeled potatoes may be placed in water and then the refrigerator for up to 24 hours before being used.
- Leave the skin on the potatoes to add more nutrients into your meal.
Nutritional Value of the Garlic Parsley Potatoes
The amount of calories in the dish is 280 calories. The recipe has a high level of potassium and sodium. Not only that, the dish is a good source of carbohydrates that is generally found within the potatoes. The recipe also has an abundance of Vitamin C, Vitamin B-6, Manganese, Phosphorus and Copper. Adding pieces of meat will add some protein sources into the meal.