Ever wanted to experience a state of tranquillity and calm? Well, with herbal tea, you are sure to experience that easily as the scent and taste of tea is simply soothing to the soul. There is a high demand of tea in the market as there are many different types of tea and some prefer it as an alternative to coffee.
What is Herbal Tea?
It typically known as leung cha which literally means “cooling tea” among the Chinese community. There are many health benefits to drinking herbal tea and one of them is to cool down the body and reduce heatiness.
The tea is made from an infusion of herbs with various combinations tending to different body conditions of an individual. The herbs are dried out and be made into packages of different sizes and then sold in specialty shops or in the market.
Wonder what it tastes like? Some herbal teas are bitter while some are refreshing and taste of flowers. Besides for drinking on its own during tea time or after meals, herbal teas are Chinese families’ drink of choice during mealtimes. As soon as one walks into a dim sum restaurant, almost every table will have tiny tea cups and pots of tea.
History of Herbal Tea
Tea was already a popular beverage during ancient times. As such, there is a long history of tea being an integral part of Chinese society. Originating from China’s Guangdong province, it is believed to contain medicinal properties, thus, cementing itself as an affordable alternative medicine to the poor since the late 19th century.
Dating back further, the first tea shop was named “Wang Laoji Herbal Tea”, and was established in 1828. Tea was predominantly consumed by workers and businessmen alike as a household remedy for body aches and pains. Doctors’ services were considered too expensive at the time, so people opted for the cheaper alternative which was tea.
Medicine at the time was considered as a scarce resource and finding an alternative such as herbal tea helped the poor in China. Given the people’s appreciation for medication, it is no wonder that herbal tea has become so valued that the importance of tea transcends generations.
Enjoy the tranquillity behind tea-drinking that is not just a fad but is a healthy habit!
Benefits of Herbal Tea
What are the benefits of drinking herbal tea?
- Herbal tea helps to eliminate toxins. Research has shown that the herbs in the tea are filled with antioxidants, which in turn will help to remove toxins from our body.
- Helps in weight loss. Components in tea have significant effect in burning fats in our body. It can help in weight loss and to control our blood sugar level.
- Prevent heart diseases. With herbal teas that is rich in antioxidant properties, it will help to protect our body from diseases related to heart conditions.
- Improves digestion. Herbal tea is also known famously for its benefit as an after-meal drink. It can stimulate digestions in our stomach, especially after a heavy meal.
- Great energy booster. Scrap coffee from your daily diet. Herbal tea can provide with you an energy boost as well. Refreshing to both the body and mind, it is indeed a healthy drink. Best part is, it contains little to no caffeine!
Nutrition Fact Sheet
Fitness aficionados look over here. Even though herbal tea helps with weight loss, but do not rely solely on herbal teas as you still to consume a balanced diet with all the necessary nutritional needs that your body requires each day.
A tea bag of Herbal Tea:
Where to find Herbal Tea in Malaysia
Herbal tea can be found in almost every Chinese restaurant and we have picked out some locations for you to try out. One of the stores along Wai Sek Kai (Pudu) is recommended, and you can find more at Kuan Yin Vegetarian Restoran (Petaling Jaya).
Find more Chinese cuisine on foodpanda!