Dig into some eggcellent lunch! Hotate Tamago Don is one of many variations to the classic, home-cooked donburi, rice bowl dish.
What is Hotate Tamago Don?
Donburi, shortened to “don”, is a Japanese rice bowl dish where a fish, meat, vegetables or other ingredients are simmered in egg served over warm rice. It is sometimes referred to as sweetened or savoury stews rice. The simmering sauce can often vary depending on the season, region and the ingredients used. However, usually dashi sauce is used which is a mixture of soy sauce and mirin.
Tamagoyaki, shortened to tamago, is a Japanese omelette. It can be made to be eaten on its own or as a complementary dish found in bento or on top of sushi. The dish is quite similar to the traditional omelette you might be familiar with; however, it is seasoned differently with dashi, soy sauce, sugar, and even sake.
There are different variations to donburi as below:
- Gyudon (Beef bowl)
- Butadon (Pork bowl)
- Tendon (Tendon meat bowl)
- Tentamadon (Tempura Egg bowl)
- Unadon (Eel Bowl)
- Tamagodon (Scrambled egg over rice)
You can even substitute the ingredients with your leftovers from last night’s dinner. The dish is popular for being a simple, comforting one-bowl meal that can be cooked in under 30 minutes or less.
In this case, the dish that we are referring to as Hotate Tamago Don is a Scallop Egg Bowl.
Why is IT popular?
- One-bowl dish
The dish is made and served in a single bowl making it ideal for easy cooking and clean up after you are finished.
- Quick and Easy Recipes
It is easily mastered and can be whipped up with little-to-no effort. You can whip up a meal in just under 30 minutes.
- Healthy Dish
No cooking oil is required to fry the egg making it a healthy alternative for a light lunch, or dinner.
- Simple Ingredients
As you can see, the ingredients used for this dish recipe are ingredients you can easily find in your kitchen. However, you can add your own twist according to your own preferences.
Hotate Tamago Don recipe
Hotate Tamago Don’s recipe is incredibly simple to make from the comforts of your own home. Add this recipe down to your normal everyday meal prep or your next family dinner.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 60ml of konbutsuyu (3x concentrated)
- 40 ml of water
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspooons of sugar
- Cooked rice
Serving size: 2 people
- Gather all your ingredients.
- Chop up the onions and scallops into thin slices. Start cooking the rice on the side. You can choose to cook either white or brown rice.
- Heat up your pan. Add onions with konbutsuyu and water.
- In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, eggs and scallops together well.
- Once the onion has been caramelised, add in the egg mixture and swirl it around. Reduce the heat to the low setting and cook for a few minutes.
- Cover the lid of the pan and let it steam for another two minutes.
- Scoop up a bowl of rice. Carefully place the omelette on top of your cooked rice. Serve.
- You can add in shiitake mushrooms to add some flavour to the dish.
- Sprinkle some seaweed slices on top of the rice for better presentation.
What is Hotate Tamago Don?
Find more Japanese cuisine on foodpanda!