Dish of the Day: Molten Lava Cake
The gooey and delicious Molten Lava Cake is a dessert that is usually eaten after a delightful meal. The idea for the molten lava cake came from the combination of flourless chocolate cake and a souffle.
The name of the dish also describes the gooey and drool-worthy centre that oozes out liquid dark brown chocolate. The cake is known by many other names as well, such as chocolate moelleux or even chocolate lava cake.
To get a better experience out of the dish, the molten lava cake is paired with vanilla ice cream on top of the cake. Originating from France and America, the dish has an interesting origin story.
What is Molten Lava Cake?
The Molten Lava Cake can be made out of the following ingredients: butter, eggs, sugar, chocolate and flour. The molten lava cake is best paired with port and it’s best to avoid pairing the cake with sweet wines, as the taste of the cake may be too intense for it. To improve the appearance of the cake, sprinkle some cocoa powder and powdered sugar to make it even more irresistible.
The cake is made by melting chocolate and butter together. At the same time, beat some eggs and then sprinkle some sugar and salt, until it is dense. Combine the egg mixture with flour and then combine it with the chocolate and butter mixture. Bake the batter for about 12 minutes before serving it on a plate.
Tips and Tricks to Make the Best Molten Lava Cake
- To enhance the flavours of the cake, feel free to add some coffee to make the flavour of the chocolate more intense.
- It is recommended, though not required, to add some vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt to add some extra flavours into the cake.
- The batter can be made hours beforehand and then stored in the refrigerator for a few hours. Remove the dough from the fridge to bring it to room temperature before the baking process.
- High-quality chocolates are recommended as opposed to using chocolate chips. Chocolate chips may not be enough to produce “lava” within the cake. Chocolates from Nestle, Lindt or even Baker’s are highly recommended.
- The molten lava cake can be refrigerated after it has been made for up to 3 months. Once its time to eat it, remember to reheat the cake in a microwave to be served.
History of Molten Lava Cake
The creation of the Molten Lava Cake can be attributed to famous United States-based chef called Jean-Georges Vongerichten in 1987. However, a chef from France called Jacques Torres claimed that the molten lava cake was created in France many years ago.
However, Vongerichten stated that he created the molten lava cake by removing the sponge cake before it was correctly baked. Vongerichten claimed that the cake still tasted good with the warm liquid chocolate running out from the inside of the cake.
From then on, he named the cake Chocolate Valrhona Cake, in which he served it with vanilla ice cream on top of the cake. Today, the dish is found everywhere in restaurants and even popular franchise places, such as Domino’s and Pizza Hut.
Where to find Molten Lava Cake in Malaysia
Need something to satiate your sugar cravings and needs? Indulge with your needs by visiting Salon Du Chocolate (Kuala Lumpur) and Pizza Hut (Anywhere in Klang Valley) to taste the delectable dessert.
Find more of Fast Food cuisine on foodpanda!
Article Written By Anna
Anna is an absolute foodie, and lives by the motto that food is happiness. She is a writer by day and a gamer by night. She believes that good food comes from all over and is constantly amazed by the passion and dedication it takes to make food that warms the soul.