Image Credit to: Spice N’ Pans
This dish certainly is aromatic and appetising. For those that are a big fan of seafood, this dish will call out to you. For many years now, we have witnessed food trends rising and falling in popularity in a short period of time. But we can be sure that the salted egg yolk trend is still going on strong.
No matter how salted egg yolk is added to ingredients such as meat or seafood, its unique taste will surely stand out. This is a dish that has captured the hearts of many worldwide and is a definite must-try among other Chinese cuisines.
What is Salted Egg Yolk Prawn?
It is a simple dish that manages to integrate the richness of egg yolk and the juiciness of shrimp in a spell-bounding way. Without any focused attention, one would walk away, missing the goodliness of this dish.
But fret not, the aroma of the spices unleashed from a smart combination of bird’s eye chilli (cili padi), curry leaves and the salted egg itself will catch your attention.A crunchy prawn coated with a luscious sauce made of salted egg coupled with the kickass scent from the spices, we have a dish that no one must miss!
History of Salted Egg
What’s so special about salted egg that makes it the star in every dish? It is said to have originated from China. Mentions of the egg was seen in a Chinese Agricultural text known as Qimin Yaoshu (Essential Techniques for the Peasantry). It was written by Jia Sixie in 6th century AD.
The book said that the egg of the duck must be soaked in high concentration of salt solution for at least a month before it is ready to be consumed.On another note, based on Traditional Chinese Medicine, salted egg is believed to be an excellent remedy for eliminating the internal heat of the body. It has many great deals of medical benefits too!
How to make Salted Egg Yolk Prawn
- The ingredients are 500g of prawns, 5 salted egg yolks, 2 tablespoons of corn starch, garlic, ginger slices, 4 bird’s eye chilli (chili padi), 2 stalks of curry leaves, salt, pepper and oil.
- Separate the salted egg yolk from the egg whites. Steam the yolks and then mash the yolks using a fork.
- Season the prawns with salt and pepper. Then dust it in corn starch.
- Fry the prawns until they become golden in colour, not cooked through. Leave aside.
- Discard ¾ of the cooked oil. Sauté the ginger, garlic, cili padi and curry leaves with light flame.
- Toss in the mashed egg yolks and stir the mixture until it becomes a creamy paste.
- Add the prawns to the sauce. Toss the prawns in the mixture until they are well-coated.
- Season with salt and pepper until they are properly seasoned.
A delicious dish of salted egg yolk prawns is done!
Do note this is just a simple walk through on the steps on making this dish. More detailed guideline and instructions can be found online.
Nutrition Fact Sheet
Fitness aficionados look over here. We understand how foodie like you often find it hard to balance a healthy diet with addictive food all over Malaysia. So here is a fact sheet tailored just for you.
A 50g serving size of Salted Egg Prawn:
Where to find Salted Egg Prawn in Malaysia
Almost every Chinese eatery in Malaysia serves Salted Egg Yolk Prawns and you only need to go visit the nearest Chinese restaurant.
We have picked out some locations for you to try out. Village Fish & Rice Restaurant (Shah Alam) is recommended, and you can find more at Golden Dragon City Seafood Restaurant (Petaling Jaya). Find more Chinese cuisine on foodpanda!