Gulab jamun is a popular Indian dessert that is made with milk powder, flour, and sugar. It is typically deep-fried and soaked in a rose water syrup. Gulab jamun is a soft and spongy dessert that is bursting with flavour.
This recipe for gulab jamun with rose water syrup is a simple and easy way to make this delicious dessert at home. The rose water syrup gives the gulab jamun a delicate floral flavour.
- 1 cup milk powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/4 cup ghee, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- Oil, for frying
Rose Water Syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- To make the rose water syrup, combine the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and stir in the rose water.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk powder, flour, sugar, baking powder, and cardamom powder. Mix well.
- Add the melted ghee and milk, and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Divide the dough into small balls, about 1 inch in diameter.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat.
- Fry the gulab jamun for 2-3 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the gulab jamun from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Immediately soak the gulab jamun in the rose water syrup.
- Let the gulab jamun soak for at least 30 minutes, or up to overnight.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- If you don’t have ghee, you can use another type of cooking oil, such as vegetable oil or canola oil.
- To make sure that the gulab jamun is cooked through, insert a toothpick into the centre. If the toothpick comes out clean, the gulab jamun is done.
- If the rose water syrup is too thick, you can thin it out with a little bit of water.
- Gulab jamun can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Missing some ingredients? Let foodpanda take care of that! Check out our grocery delivery service and get all the ingredients for Gulab jamun delivered to you. Enjoy!