Yee Sang is a must-have during Chinese New Year. Tossing yee sang is a way to usher in the abundance of good fortune, happiness and prosperity. Now, there are many different variations of recipes to prepare the recipe for yee sang. For the year 2020, why don’t we try something different and prepare homemade salmon yee sang?
Here’s a suggested recipe for making your own yee sang below!
Ingredients (10 pax):
- 2 tsp of sesame oil
- 6 tbsp of water
- 4 tbsp of plum sauce
- ½ of white radish
- ½ of pomelo
- 160 g of taro
- 1 tsp of food colouring
- 100 g of flour
- 4 tsp of salt
- 60 g of butter
- 800 ml of oil
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 2 tsp of five-spice powder
- 2 tbsp of peanuts
- Ginger (pickled)
- Fresh salmon (smoked)
- 2 tsp of sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- Add sesame oil and water to the plum sauce in a sauce platter. Set aside for later.
- Shred the cucumber (without seeds), carrots and radish. Place the shredded ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Remove the skin of pomelo to get the flesh inside and set aside.
- Julienne the taro into thin strips and separate the portion into two bowls. Mix red and green food colouring into each portion, respectively.
- Ensure that the taro slices are evenly coated with colouring.
- Fry the taro slices and set aside to cool.
- To prepare the wheat crackers, add salt, flour and cold butter into a bowl. Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture is even.
- Then, add water to form a dough. If it is too wet, add more flour until the mixture is no longer sticky.
- Flatten the dough and cut them into small rectangles.
- Heat up a pot of oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, fry the cut dough until it is golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Assemble all the ingredients on a large plate. The salmon pieces should be in the centre. Add olive oil, plum sauce, pepper, five-spice powder, sesame seeds and crushed peanuts on top of the ingredients. Now, you’re ready to toss it up high and enjoy your homemade salmon yee sang. Huat ah! Huat ah! Huat ah!
If you don’t have time to make it from scratch, then order yee sang to be delivered to you. Order using foodpanda now, and we’ll reduce the hassle while you prepare for the arrival of your family and friends. Hope that you’ll have a wondrous and prosperous Chinese New Year!