National Biscuits and Cookies day is here! Often enjoyed as breakfast, this unusual combination is actually a high-end breakfast needed for you to kickstart your day. The warm and thick gravy with the crunchy biscuits can blow your problems away.
History of Biscuits and Gravy
The word biscuits can mean differently in American English and British English. The American cookies are the hard biscuits which are made by baking twice. The American biscuit is what the British refer to as a scone. As for the European biscuits, it is usually a soft biscuit with a savoury taste.
The pretty biscuits and gravy commonly eaten for breakfast are the soft baked biscuits. The dressing used in the recipe originated from the ancient French recipe. The sauce is made of roux and added with milk.
For decades, people have been enjoying eating biscuits and gravy for breakfast and even tea time. With the evolution of time and technology, the culture and the taste of food are changing following trends and fads. People are creating more new recipes of gravy and biscuits to create a more delicate discernment of the dish to suit the diners’ palate.
Benefits of Biscuits and Gravy
Biscuits can be beneficial to your health, depending on your portion and ingredients used. Thus, it is essential to know what kind of cookies you consume every day. Biscuits that both taste good and are good for your health are grain or multigrain. These biscuits are excellent sources of dietary fibre and other nutrients such as vitamins and minerals.
Good for weight loss
The multigrain biscuits are low in calories and sugar, which makes it perfect as a dietary snack.
Improve bowel health
The abundant dietary fibres in the biscuits help to promote the growth of good bacteria in the colon and also helps to maintain regular bowel movement.
Help to regulate blood sugar levels
The fibre in the biscuits can effectively remove excess cholesterol from your body. It will aid to reduce the risk of having certain diseases like heart attack, stroke and diabetes.
How to Celebrate National Biscuits and Gravy Day
December 14 is the chosen day to celebrate and savour the taste of biscuits and gravy. You can observe this day by enjoying the biscuits and gravy. Here’s a simple and delicious recipe for you to try making some healthy multigrain biscuits:
For multigrain biscuits
- 45 g of wheat flour
- 45 g of cornflour
- 45 g of ragi flour
- 45 g of rice flour
- 45 g of oats
- 15 g of milk powder
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 150 g of Marvo
- 100 g of powder sugar
- 1/2 tsp of mava essence
- Minced meat
- Black pepper and salt
For multigrain biscuits
- Beat the Marvo for a minute. Add some sugar and beat until it is fluffy and light.
- Add the mava essence and beat the mixture for few more seconds.
- Mix all the grain flour in a separate bowl.
- Add the Marvo mixture along with milk powder, baking powder and salt into the bowl of mixed grain flour.
- Beat the mixture everything is well-mixed.
- Using only your hands, assemble everything to form a dough.
- Cut the cookies according to your desired shape.
- Place the shaped cookies on a tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the dough in a preheated oven up to 140°C for about 15 minutes.
- Place the baked biscuits on the cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container once cooled adequately.
- Cook the minced meat in a large skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir the minced meat frequently.
- Stir in flour.
- Add milk into the mixture and continue to stir it over heat until it is boiling and thickening.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low heat.
- Simmer for two minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to season the gravy.
Now, pour your warm gravy on top of the biscuits, and you’re ready to celebrate National Biscuits and Gravy Day. Appreciate this unique cuisine and people around you by celebrating this delightful day with them. With that, Happy National Biscuits and Gravy Day!
Order more food to complement your biscuits and gravy using foodpanda and get it delivered right to your doorstep!