National Fried Shrimp Day is the perfect excuse to enjoy seafood. Who can resist the delicious shrimps that are deep-fried or stir-fried with various sauces? Often, the shrimp are deep-fried till you can even consume it with the shell on. It’s a perfect dish to pair with rice and is best enjoyed hot.
This dish is enjoyed by many, especially those living nearby the ocean or on islands. You can find fresh shrimps in the morning market or at supermarkets.
History of Fried Shrimp
Shrimp is one of the familiar staple dishes in most Asian cuisines. It is a versatile ingredient as there are many ways to prepare this dish. In fact, shrimp can almost be found everywhere, making it a fairly common dish to everyone.
During the civil war, shrimp was pre-cooked and canned. Due to its flavourful flesh and easy availability, the shrimp became a famous staple dish.
In the 19th century, due to the high availability of shrimps, a plate of fried shrimp will be served free to every diner before their meal is ready.
Health Benefits of Fried Shrimp
Promoting brain and heart health
The antioxidant content in the shrimp is the cause of the reddish skin the shrimp has. Shrimp is rich in antioxidants, namely astaxanthin. Astaxanthin helps to promote brain and heart health.
Reducing the risk of heart disease
Consuming shrimp can increase your HDL cholesterols levels (good cholesterol) and decrease the triglycerides. HDL is the good cholesterols that can help you to lower the risk of having a heart disease.
How to Celebrate National Fried Shrimp Day
National Fried Shrimp Day can be celebrated by enjoying the crispy and fresh taste of fried prawn on every December 20. Celebrate this happy day by having fried shrimp delivered straight to your house. Listed here is the café that serves delicious fried shrimp for you and your loved ones;
If you would like to cook and taste your own homemade fried shrimp, here is a simple recipe for you;
- 1 pound of uncooked peeled jumbo shrimp
- 1/3 cup of flour
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- Three eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil
- Beat eggs in a medium-sized bowl.
- Mix in flour, salt and pepper in a separate medium bowl.
- Dip shrimp in flour, make sure it is fully coated with the flour.
- Dip shrimp in the beaten eggs lightly, then press shrimp into bread crumbs; turn shrimp over and press into the bread crumbs again to coat both sides of the shrimp.
- Pour oil into a heavy large pot to reach a depth of 2 inches to deep fry the shrimp.
- Preheat the large pan up to 177°C.
- Add shrimp into the hot oil.
- Deep-fry for 1 minute.
- Remove the shrimp from the oil and drain them using a paper towel.
- Arrange shrimp on platter.
Mark this joyous date on your calendar as you will be celebrating this day by enjoying fried shrimp with your loved ones. Happy National Fried Shrimp Day!
Order more food or some drinks using foodpanda and celebrate this day with some good food and company.