National Pastry Day is celebrated each year on December 9. The large variety of baked goods made with ingredients such as flour, sugar, milk, butter, baking powder and eggs are called pastry. The dough is used as a base or starting point for every baked product.
History of Pastry
Pastries originated from Ancient Egypt where the Egyptians used a combination of flour and water meant to wrap around the meat to be baked. It later spread to the Middle East and was brought over to Europe.
Back then, baking was a must-have skill for every housewife. Pastry-making become a trend and kept evolving throughout centuries. Thus, we now have a multitude of delicious pastries to choose from.
Types of Pastries
There are many different types of pastries. The usage of each type depends on the type of baked products that you wish to make.
- Shortcrust pastry
Shortcrust pastry is usually used for making pie or tart bases. Shortcrust refers to the high ration of fat flour that bring tenderness.
- Sweet crust pastry
This pastry has the same texture as cookies. The sweet taste and crunchy texture bring joy and is perfect as a base for fruity pie.
- Flaky pastry
Flaky pastry has layers to make it flaky and falling apart as you bite into it. It is made by mixing butter into dough and continuous folding to create layers. It is also known as blitz or rough puff. The large lump of butter mixed into dough plays a prominent role on the layers and flaky texture.
- Choux pastry
Choux pastry is a light pastry that is often filled with cream or other fillings and used for eclairs. This pastry only uses flour, butter, water and eggs to make the dough. The high moisture content creates steam which cooks the puff instead of using a raising agent.
- Phyllo pastry
This pastry is usually used to make Baklava by people of the Mediterranean. The very thin layer of pastry is suitable for various foods. Phyllo pastry is made by layering 18-20 sheets and brushing each layer with butter.
How to Celebrate National Pastry Day
Give yourself some time to enjoy the delightful pastry without rushing to your workplace or school. Grab some pastries and share it with your colleagues, friends and family!
Cream Puff Recipe
- ½ cup of unsalted butter (chunked)
- 1 tsp of grounded sugar (optional)
- 1 tsp of kosher salt
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- Five eggs
- No-Fuss Pastry Cream
- Mix butter, sugar, salt and a cup of water in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Boil and constantly stir using a spatula until a layer is formed on the bottom of the saucepan.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and transfer the mixture into a bowl to let it cool slightly around 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly add eggs and keep stirring vigorously until eggs and mixture mix well.
- Put the remaining egg in a bowl with 1 tbsp. Of water and whisk together for egg wash.
- Transfer the mixture in pastry’s piping bag and put in each of pan hole. Brush the top of the mixture with egg wash.
- Put the pan in the preheated oven until the puff rise and golden about 30 minutes.
- Let the puff cool, meanwhile, scoop the pastry cream in the new piping bag too fill the pastry with cream and enjoy your delicious puff heartily.
A spectacular cream puff made with love is ready! Appreciate pastry with the people around you by celebrating National Pastry Day.
Visit foodpanda to explore more food and national food day to enjoy with your family and friends.