Rasmalai is a popular Indian dessert that is made with chhena discs (Indian cottage cheese) soaked in a rich and creamy milk syrup flavored with saffron and pistachios. It is a soft and spongy dessert that is bursting with flavor.
This recipe for rasmalai with saffron and pistachios is a simple and easy way to make this delicious dessert at home. The saffron and pistachios add a delicate floral and nutty flavor to the rasmalai.
- 1-liter whole milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- Bring the milk to a boil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the milk has reduced by about one-third.
- Add the lemon juice and stir until the milk curdles.
- Strain the curdled milk through a cheesecloth-lined strainer.
- Rinse the curds under cold water and squeeze out any excess water.
- Place the curds in a bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to overnight.
- To make the milk syrup, combine the sugar, saffron threads, and cardamom powder in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the sugar has dissolved and the syrup has thickened slightly.
- Remove the syrup from the heat and let it cool completely.
- To assemble the rasmalai, slice the chhena discs in half.
- Place the chhena discs in a serving dish and pour the milk syrup over them.
- Garnish with chopped pistachios and serve.
- If you want to make the rasmalai ahead of time, you can store the chhena discs in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- You can also store the milk syrup in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- When assembling the rasmalai, be sure to drain the chhena discs well before placing them in the serving dish.
- You can also add other garnishes to the rasmalai, such as rose petals, almonds, or silver leaf.
Note: If you are unable to find saffron threads, you can use 1/4 teaspoon of ground saffron instead.
Missing some ingredients? Let foodpanda take care of that! Check out our grocery delivery service and get all the ingredients for Rasmalai delivered to you. Enjoy!