If you think that ABC Soup is a variation of the ABC dessert, then you are way off the mark. ABC Soup consists of hearty vegetables and protein – far from the sweet ingredients used to make the dessert.
It is however called ABC Soup because it is super easy to make like the saying goes – as easy as ABC. All you need is the right ingredients, which is easy to get anywhere and at least the skill to boil water. It’s super easy, but it is hearty, and it will hit you just in the right spot. It’s also a perfect dish for a cold rainy night.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 400 g of pork ribs
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 2 whole carrots, cleaned and cut into medium-sized pieces
- 2 large potatoes, cleaned, peeled and cut into medium pieces
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 cob of corn, cut into 3 or 4 pieces
- 40 g of dried anchovies, cleaned
- 60 g of Shaoxing wine
- 1 cup of water
- Salt to taste
- Start by filling a pot with boiling water, add pork ribs and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove any scum from the top of the water before removing the pork ribs from the pot. Drain and set aside.
- Fill a large pot with boiling water. Add pork, carrots, potatoes, onions, dried anchovies and wine. Let the mix boil for about 10 minutes and then add in the tomatoes, corn and salt to taste.
- Cover the pot with a lid and turn the heat to low. Let it simmer for another 45 minutes
- Remove from heat. Add more salt if you feel the need to do so.
- To serve, scoop a generous amount of soup with all the ingredients in a small-sized bowl. You can drink the soup on its own or serve it with rice and other dishes.
- Enjoy while it is hot!
- Replace the pork with chicken for those who want a halal dish and discard the use of wine. Instead, you can add in more chicken stock for extra taste.
- Add bird’s eye chilli (cili padi) if you are a fan of spicy food. Add red chilli if you can’t handle too much heat.
- Can’t finish the entire dish? Once the soup has cooled to room temperature, store it safely in a container and let it sit in the fridge. Simply heat it up when you want more of it.
Order some main course and dishes using foodpanda to enjoy with your hot ABC soup!