Continuing with the breakfast theme, it seems appropriate to explore the classic American breakfast–bacon and eggs. Thanks to Edward Bernays, the father of public relations and the man for inventing bacon and eggs the iconic American breakfast.
The Beech-Nut Packing Company approached Bernays in 1925, asking him to help increase their bacon sales. Bernays accepted the challenge and researched what most Americans were eating for breakfast at the time. They found many people ate a light breakfast like orange juice and a roll.
Next, Bernays approached a doctor with whom he had previously worked, asking if he recommended a heavy breakfast over a light one for health purposes. Some articles mentioned bacon and eggs as an example of a heavy breakfast. The campaign was successful, increasing Beech-Nut bacon sales. Inspired by seemingly legitimate research, the American public began eating bacon and eggs for breakfast regularly.
American breakfast is a powerful calorie-packing option, which will get you through the morning and possibly through the day depending on portion size. This American style breakfast is an option that includes more selection. Typically this means eggs, cereals or pancakes with side dishes such as bacon or breakfast sausages, hash browns or home fries and toast. Coffee, tea, milk, and juices are available. Also, it can be presented with seasonally available fruit.
Hence, this is the bacon, egg and dill pockets recipe. These make a great brunch course especially served with fresh fruit on the side! Kids love them too!
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 12 corn tortillas.
- 1 large tomato – seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tablespoons sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill or 1/4 teaspoon dry dill
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 6 eggs – lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- 5 ounces Canadian bacon – folded in half
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Cook tortilla on both sides in a non-stick skillet for about 1 minute to warm and then fold in quarters.
- Keep prepared tortillas covered with cloth towel until all tortillas are filled.
- Saute the tomato and 1/4 cup green onions with butter dill in a 10-inch non-stick skillet,
- Add beaten eggs and also seasonings.
- Cook over medium-low heat-stir occasionally until cooked, but still soft.
- Remove from heat.
- Bring one slice of Canadian bacon and place it in one “pocket” of a folded tortilla to fill them; fill the second “pocket” with about 2 Tablespoons of the egg blend.
- As each tortilla is filled, arrange them lightly coated with non-stick cooking spray overlapping in a shallow baking dish.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top with the remaining two tablespoons of chopped green onion
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 350 degrees or until warm.