You have certainly eaten all kinds of baked goods made out of bananas, but have you tried the Vietnamese delicacy – Bánh chuối Nướng? Bánh chuối Nướng is sweet baked banana cake or bread pudding baked in a pan. It originated from Vietnam and is usually made out of ripe bananas. In the finished dish, the cooked banana often appears purplish-red in colour.
This Vietnamese baked banana cake is slightly sweet with a hint of coconut flavour. Unlike the traditional banana cake or banana bread, this baked treat has a more custard texture while not being overly sweet. The cake consists of mainly bananas, stale bread and coconut milk. It’s moist and creamy, totally fit for a crowd of all ages.
Plus, the recipe is so simple and easy-to-follow, you can try baking this simple banana cake at home and show it off to your friends and family!
- 3 large bananas (fairly ripe)
- 30g granulated sugar
- 3 ½ eggs
- 190g sweetened condensed milk
- 125g unsalted butter (melted and cooled)
- 100g all-purpose flour
- ½ tbsp. vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Slice the bananas thinly (but not too thin just in case it breaks). Place the sliced bananas in a medium bowl and mix slowly with sugar. Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a 6-inch pan and coat it generously with flour.
- Whisk the eggs until smooth in another large bowl. Then, add condensed milk and butter and beat until mixed well. Add in the flour, vanilla, and salt until thoroughly mixed. Gently pour in the sweetened bananas until they are thoroughly mixed with the batter.
- Pour the batter into a cake pan. Try tapping the pan on the countertop to ensure there are no air bubbles inside.
- Bake the cake for about 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Insert a toothpick into the centre and pull it out. If it comes out clean, then the cake is made.
- Place on a wire rack to cool before unmoulding from the tin. This cake can be served warm or cold, depending on your tastes. Yummy!
If you’re a sweet tooth but baking a cake is too much of a hassle for you, avoid the mess by ordering it on foodpanda and have it delivered to you!