The all-American essential. Perfect pair for any meal, be it breakfast, lunch or dinner. It’s simply the perfect side. Now, the average person would just grab a can from the supermarket and be done with it. While there’s nothing wrong with that, why not make this from scratch? You can customize it as you see wish and dazzle your guests (or family!) with your baked beans skills.
There are definitely benefits that this dish has, some of which are energy support production and also good immune function.Furthermore, they contain beneficial plant compound which protects your cells.
The dish usually goes well with toast,sausages and scrambled eggs. That is completely up to you of course,whatever you want to pair it with.
- 1 pound package of dry (preferably) great northern, navy, or pink beans
- 3 big glasses of water
- 1 medium onion that is chopped
- 1 cup of ketchup
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar that is packed
- 1/3 cup of molasses
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt or you can add more if you desire
- 1 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper or you can add more if desired
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 meaty ham bone omit if you’re using bacon
- 4 slices of thick-sliced bacon cooked and crumbled or omit if you’re using ham bone
For the Overnight Soak Method:
- Rinse and pick through beans,remove any small pebbles or debris. Then,transfer the beans into a big pot and pour in enough water to cover by about 2″ . Cover the pot and let the beans soak overnight.
- The next day, drain the beans and cover with the same amount of freshwater. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover the pot, and let simmer for 1 hour. Drain beans, reserving liquid.
For the Quick Soak Method:
- Rinse the beans and place them in a large pot and add enough water to cover about 2″.
- Let it to boil and reduce the heat and let it simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove it from heat and let it cool for about an hour.
- Then, drain and rinse. Return the beans to the pot and add same fresh water and let it boil.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender. Drain and reserve the cooking liquid.
To Cook the Soaked Beans:
- In a large pot, combine soaked beans, 1 cup cooking liquid, onion, ketchup, brown sugar, molasses, salt, mustard, pepper, bay leaf, and bacon.
- Mix them well. Cover the pot and bake it at 300 degrees for 4-1/2 to 5 hours or until the beans are very tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Stir occasionally and add more of the reserved cooking liquid if needed desired.
- At end, remove and discard the bay leaf.Taste beans and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.