Recipe: Bara Brith
Feeling a pang of hunger during odd hours of the day? Why not indulge in some delicious Bara Brith. Bara Brith, or “speckled bread”, is a traditional Welsh bread either made with yeast self-rising flour. The bread is normally flavoured with tea, dried fruits and mixed spices.
This Bara Brith recipe is relatively easy to follow. It will only take you a little more than an hour to make with ingredients you can easily find at your local grocer or supermarket.
Ingredients (6 servings):
- 450g dried mixed fruit
- 450g self-rising flour
- 3 tea bags
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp marmalade
- 1 tbsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Place the tea bags into a large cup and add boiling water. Set aside for about 5 minutes.
- Place the dried mixed fruit in a mixing bowl and pour the tea over. Dispose of the tea bags and leave overnight.
- The next day, add sugar to the mixture and stir until dissolved. Next, add the whole egg, flour, marmalade, mixed spice and ground cinnamon. Mix well until the consistency resembles a thick cake-like batter.
- Grease a 900g loaf tin and pour in the cake mixture. Bake in the oven under 170⁰C for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Check frequently to see if the surface of the cake does not brown too much.
- Once done, remove from the oven ad leave to cool for about 10 minutes. Then, remove from the tin and place on a cooling tray. Glaze the top with some honey (optional). Enjoy!
Bara Brith Recipe
There you have it – a delicious recipe on Bara Brith! Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks using foodpanda! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.
For more food recipes, subscribe to foodpanda magazine today!
Article Written By Mico Hu
Mico is a professional creative writer in Foodpanda. She writes about travel, fashion, and food. Also, she enjoy travelling to new places and also eating delicious food.