A Bibimbap simply means a Koren version of mixed rice topped with meat, assorted vegetables, kimchi, sauce and a fried egg, often served in a hot stone bowl. This dish originated from goldongban, which was traditionally prepared on the lunar new year eve using all the leftover side dishes. Now it has become a dinner choice that the whole family could not resist.
There are various variations to this dish according to different preferences such as beef, chicken, pork or vegetarian. It is typically served with sauce, especially Gochujang, which is a spicy-sweet Korean sauce. Basically you can cook any ingredients that you like and place it on the rice to mix and eat.
- 100g / 3.5 ounces beef mince (or other cuts)
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3/4 cup short-grain brown or white rice, rinsed
- 60 ml water
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 large eggs
- Seasoned seaweed
- Sesame seeds
- Marinate the thinly sliced beef with soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar and minced garlic and separately soak the brown or white rice overnight.
- Cook the white rice by adding cooking water rice and salt into a saucepan. Once it boils, reduce the heat and cover the rice, let it cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Slice the cucumber and carrots into thin strips.
- Rinse through the spinach and slice the mushrooms into thin slices.
- Add 1 teaspoon of sesame oil into a heated pan.
- Add the prepared ingredients one type at a time in batches and season them with garlic and seasalt.
- First, slightly stir fry the cucumber, and then put them aside.
- Then move on to fry the carrots until it turns shiny, then set them aside.
- Move on the cook the mushroom and spinach.
- Take out the overnight marinated beef. Stir fry last so that it will absorb all the flavours of the ingredients. Top up with some sesame oil and add dome soy sauce to enhance the flavour.
- Add a little sesame oil onto the pan and crack the egg. Cover the pan with a lid for 1 minute then remove lid until the whites are cooked for the perfect sunny-side up.
- Serve the rice and top them with adequate portions of the cooked vegetables, fried egg and kimchi.
- Finish it with a tablespoon of Gochujang, seasoned seaweed and sesame seeds.
- Mix everything together and enjoy.