Image Credit to: Mike’s Mighty Good
Who wouldn’t like some cheese on their kimchi ramen? If you are looking to find new ways to make use of your instant ramen then this is a recipe for you. Budae Jigae or Korean Army Stew is a hearty, spicy kimchi stew created shortly after the Korean War using foods left from the US army bases. This recipe can be whipped up in less than 20 minutes.
- One L of chicken stock
- 200 g of SPAM slices
- Sliced sausages
- 250 g of tofu
- 200 g of shiitake mushrooms
- One stalk of spring onion
- ½ cup of kimchi
- Instant ramen noodles
- 30 g of sliced green onion
- 2 cheese slices
- 100 g of bok choy
- 2 tablespoons of Korean chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoons of rice wine
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- ½ tbsp of sugar
- ½ tbsp of Gochujang
- Ground black pepper
- Gather all the ingredients in a big pot. All except the instant ramen noodles, spring onions, bok choy and cheese.
- In a separate bowl, mix in all the ingredients for the sauce.
- Once the water boils, add in the noodles. Lower the heat slightly and use a fork or a chopstick to disentangle the strands of noodles.
- Once you see that the noodles are soft and cooked, turn off the heat.
- Pour in the seasoning packets provided in the noodle package.
- Add in the bok choy into the mix. Leave it to boil for about two minutes.
- Chop the spring onions into a few slices. Put it into the saucepan along with the kimchi.
- Leave it to boil for half a minute before you remove it from the heat.
- Unwrap a cheese slice of your choice. Place it on top of the noodles. Reduce the heat to a low if you’re cooking it on a portable cooker and place it at the dining table for everyone to share.
- Serve it with steamed rice with the side dishes of your choice. Eat it while it is hot.
Notes: Garnish it with some more red pepper if you can handle the heat.You can also add in a soft boiled egg, sliced beef, chicken slices. Make sure you cut them into a few tiny slices. Toss it into a skillet and cook it with some vegetable oil.
Calories: 653 kcal
Carbohydrates: 43 grams
Protein: 31 grams
Fat: 35 grams