The black pepper udon is a Japanese dish that features noodles immersed with black pepper sauce. The dish is infused with sensational flavours from the ground black peppers, mirin, soy sauce and ginger. The dish is quick to prepare as it takes about 30 minutes to cook it.
Besides, the dish is versatile so feel free to add some meat into the dish such as beef, chicken and pork. The type of noodle used for the udon is a thick wheat flour noodle that is often served hot. The udon is usually served with various kinds of toppings, such as tempura or kakiage (mixed tempura fritter).
Looking for a new dish to try out? Check out the Black Pepper Udon recipe down below!
Ingredients (4 servings):
- ½ tbsp of freshly ground black peppers
- 3 tbsp of Mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 6 tbsp of soy sauce
- 2 tbsp of honey
- 1 piece of ginger (1-inch)
- 2 tbsp of cornstarch
For stir-fried noodles
- 8 oz of udon noodles
- 2 tbsp of sesame oil
- 2 cups of spinach leaves
- Sesame seeds
- 10 oz of extra firm tofu
- In a large pot, pour water inside and bring it to a boil. Then, add the noodles and cook it for about 1-2 minutes. Drain the noodles with a sieve and rinse it with cold water to remove the starch. Set it aside.
- In a food processor, place the ground black pepper, mirin, honey, soy sauce, honey, ginger and cornstarch. Combine the ingredients until it has a smooth consistency. Adjust the flavours to suit your taste and liking.
- Proceed to slice the tofu into several slices and then remove excess moisture with paper towels. Slice the tofu again into cube shapes.
- In a large wok, heat 1 tablespoon of sesame oil and then add the tofu into the wok. Gently stir fry the tofu for 5 to 10 minutes until it has a golden-brown appearance.
- Add a dash of black pepper sauce, water and oil (½ tablespoon) and shake the pan. Transfer it to a bowl and then set it aside.
- Proceed to heat the remainder of the oil (½ tablespoon) in the wok. Add the noodles and black pepper sauce into the wok. If the sauce becomes too thick, add a bit of water.
- Proceed to stir-fry the noodles until it has softened. The noodles should be covered with sauce. Take the wok away from the heat and then add the spinach and tofu. Lastly, season with sesame seeds.
No time to cook or running out of ingredients? Order some Japanese food using foodpanda now!