Tiet Canh – A traditional Vietnamese dish of blood is the fresh blood of ducks, geese or pigs with its meat. This soup is known to be famous during festive celebrations such as Lunar New Year and weddings in Vietnam. This bright red blood soup has a popular belief that is said to have cooling properties which can regulate body heat and cure mouth ulcers.
There is also a belief that says the ingredients in the soup might prevent anaemia. The most common meat that is used is raw duck blood and duck meat. So, if you would like to try something out of the norm dishes, this could be an excellent kickstart to that mission.
Hence, here goes the Blood Soup – Tiet Canh recipe.
- 1 live duck
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 1 cup fresh duck blood
- ½kg finely chopped duck meat and innards
- Fish sauce
- Crushed peanuts
- Chopped mint and coriander
- 1 stalk chopped celery
- A few sprigs parsley
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- Salt to taste
- Firstly, mix the fish sauce in the freshly drawn blood of a duck. (Ratio is 4 soup spoon of fish sauce for every 1 litre of blood). Set aside.
- Finely chop the duck innards and meat and put them in a shallow pot. Then, sprinkle them with crushed peanuts, chopped mint, coriander and other herbs. On medium heat, let the meat cook until they are opaque and tender.
- Dilute the blood and fish sauce mixture with the watery broth left from cooking the meat and innards. Then quickly pour them into the prepared meat.
- Let the blood set and the finished dish resembles a pizza.
- Later, refrigerate the finished dish and allow the blood to maintain its coagulated state.
- When you are ready to serve, remove it from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for the blood to return to the liquid state.
Blood Soup – Tiet Canh Recipe
Enjoy your bowl of warm and hearty Vietnamese soup dish with your loved ones! If you find this Tiet Canh recipe useful, check out other recipes you can try on foodpanda magazine.
If preparing your own dish sounds too much of a hassle for you, you can always make your order via foodpanda, and have well-prepped meals delivered right to your house.