Braised Hong Kong Yee Mee is a versatile and simple dish that you can whip up after coming home from work. You can use any kinds of meat or seafood in this dish. Vegetables also add to the flavour of the dish, and you can use your favourite greens.
Yee Mee can easily found in dry form at most grocery stores and supermarkets. The noodles can be cooked in various ways such as braised, stir-fried or a soup. There are two types of yee mee noodles based on its shape. The first one is round while the other is flat. The round-shaped yee mee is more commonly used as it is chewier compared to the other one.
Besides preparing the ingredients from scratch, you can use any leftover braised meat (chicken, beef or pork). Just add in noodles and vegetables, it is ready to serve. The chewy noodle will soak up all the flavourful sauce which produces this deliciously simple meal.
Make a simple and delicious dish at home with this recipe.
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 60 g of vegetables of any kind (usually Choy Sum or Xiao Bai Cai)
- 60 g of carrots (sliced and blanched)
- 1 tbsp of cooking oil
- 4 cloves of garlic (sliced)
- ½ onion (sliced)
- 100 g of mushrooms
- 50 g of prawns (peeled and deveined)
- 50 g of crabsticks (cut into ½ inch length)
- 50 g of fish cakes (cut into ½ inch length)
- 2 pieces of Hong Kong-style yee mee
- 2 tbsp of light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of oyster sauce
- 1 tsp of cornstarch
- 440 ml of water
- Boil a small saucepan of water and put in dried Yee Mee. Boil the noodles until it is tender or until the noodles separate. Then, drain and set it aside.
- Mix soy sauce, oyster sauce, cornstarch and water in a bowl. Stir them well. Add sugar and salt to taste.
- Heat cooking oil in a pan under medium heat. Stir fry onion and garlic until fragrant. Then add mushrooms and mix them well for about 1 minute.
- Add the seasonings mixture and bring it to boil.
- Add the vegetables, carrots and boiled Yee Mee. Stir them for 2 minutes.
- Then, add prawns and crabstick. Simmer them under low heat for 3 minutes. You may add water if required.
- Once the noodles and ingredients cooked, add in a dash of pepper.
- Serve and enjoy while it still hot.
Tired from work or ran out of ingredients? Order yee mee from foodpanda and get them delivered right to you!