Recipe: Braised Peanut Porridge
Image Credit: Peng
Porridge is known as light food and usually served when you are feeling under the weather. However, this comfort food can be enjoyed by anyone at any time of the day. Braised peanut porridge is a simple, delicious and easy-to-prepare dish.
There are many varieties of porridge available, depending on the ingredients used. Such as intestine porridge, chicken porridge, and so on. It is a versatile dish and can go well with anything. From a simple plain porridge to a fancy porridge that contains meat and seafood.
Braised peanuts are one of the ingredients that go well with porridge. It has a tasty flavour and usually just melts in the mouth. There are braised peanuts in cans available in the market, but it can never beat the homemade food.
It might take a few hours to prepare this dish, but it is truly worthwhile. Enjoy the braised peanut porridge with this recipe.
Ingredients (2 servings):
- Braised peanuts
- 200g peanuts ( soak overnight)
- ½ inch ginger
- 1-star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 4 pieces of rock sugar
- 2 cups of water
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- For porridge
- ½ cup rice (rinsed and soaked)
- 100g anchovies
- ½ inch ginger
- 2 dried scallops (optional)
- 3 to 4 cups of water
- Salt to taste
- Put all the ingredients for the braised peanuts in the pot.
- Bring them to boil with high heat.
- Then, reduce the heat and simmer for about 2 hours or until the peanuts soft. You can add some water if the peanuts still hard.
- In the meantime, you can start preparing for the porridge.
- Start by making the anchovies stock. Put the anchovies in the muslin clothes so you can easily remove it later.
- Boil the water in a pot, then add anchovies, dried scallops, and ginger. Once the water boiling, reduce the heat and simmer it for about 30 minutes.
- Then, remove the anchovies and add the rice grains carefully into the hot broth. Increase the heat to medium heat until the porridge came to a boil. Make sure you keep stirring it.
- Next, lower the heat and let it simmer for about 1 hour. Add some salt to taste. Make sure to check and stir the porridge regularly. You can add some hot water if the water is not enough.
- Once the porridge thickens and reaches your desired consistency, serve it in a bowl.
- Garnish with the braised peanut that prepared earlier and enjoy!
Are you looking for other types of porridge to help satisfy your cravings? Why not order some from your local restaurants on the foodpanda app today! The foodpanda app offers a variety of cuisines and delivers straight to your doorstep.
Article Written By Mico Hu
Mico is a professional creative writer in Foodpanda. She writes about travel, fashion, and food. Also, she enjoy travelling to new places and also eating delicious food.