Recipe: Bun Mang Ga Thick bihun chicken soup
Bún Măng Gà (thick bihun chicken soup) is rice vermicelli with bamboo-infused chicken broth. The dish is best consumed during breakfast or rainy weather. This Vietnamese bamboo shoots and chicken noodle soup also perfect if you are feeling under the weather.
A bowl of Bún Măng Gà typically comes with cilantro, bean sprouts and various Vietnamese herbs to add flavour. It is definitely a hearty and healthy meal! For a pinch of spiciness, add some sliced red chilli and chilli garlic sauce.
The bamboo shoots give a nice crunch to the dish. You may find bamboo shoots at most local supermarkets in its fresh or dried version at the markets. Try making this delicious noodle soup using the recipe below.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 4 fresh young bamboo shoots (sliced lengthwise)
- 1 whole chicken
- 6 cups of water
- 4 yellow onions (1 whole, 3 chopped)
- 2 shallots (sliced thinly)
- 3-inch ginger (sliced)
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 1-inch rock sugar
- 1 package dried thick rice vermicelli noodles
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 daikon turnip (peeled)
- 200g Chinese cabbage (shredded)
- 200g bean sprouts
- 4 sprigs Vietnamese mint
- 4 sprigs Thai basil
- 3 red bird’s eye chilli (finely chopped)
- 2 limes (cut into wedges)
- 2 tbsp cilantro (finely chopped)
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- Black pepper
- 2 jalapeno pepper (sliced)
- 5 tbsp chilli garlic sauce or Sriracha
- 200ml nuoc mam dipping sauce
- Prepare the dried rice vermicelli noodles by cooking it in boiling water. Boil the noodles for about 8 minutes or until it soft. Drain and rinse the noodles. Set it aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan. Stir fry 3 onions and shallots until fragrant or until it’s golden brown. Place on top of several paper towels and set it aside.
- Boil the 6 cups of water in a pot. Add sliced ginger, fried onions and shallots. Place the whole chicken into the broth and cook it for about 15 minutes. Remove the whole chicken and make several deep incisions throughout the chicken’s flesh.
- Place the chicken back in the broth. Add in daikon, whole onion, rock sugar, vinegar, and mushroom seasoning salt. Let it simmer for about 30 minutes. Sprinkle some black pepper to taste and add salt and adjust accordingly.
- Remove the chicken and shred the meat. Put it aside.
- In a different pot, put the 1 cup of the chicken broth and bring it to boil. Add the sliced bamboo shoots and cook for 10 minutes or until it tenderises.
- Assemble the dish in a bowl. Put the vermicelli noodles, topped with shredded chicken, cabbage, bean sprouts, cilantro, and other herbs. Pour the broth with sliced bamboo shoots over the dish.
- Serve with lime, jalapeno pepper, chilli garlic sauce and nuoc mam.
Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks using foodpanda! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.
Article Written By Mico Hu
Mico is a professional creative writer in Foodpanda. She writes about travel, fashion, and food. Also, she enjoy travelling to new places and also eating delicious food.