Cabbage roll is a dish consisting of cooked cabbage leaves wrapped around different kinds of fillings. It is also very usual in the culture in Europe, West Asia and China.
It is a beloved home cooking dish probably due to the reason the cabbage is utilised when it’s in abundance. This cold-weather vegetable is economical yet nutritious.In Europe, a stuffed cabbage usually uses meat fillings such as beef, lamb or pork seasoned with spices.
Other than that rice, barley, mushrooms, and vegetables are also included in the filling. People southeastern Europe wraps the fillings using pickled cabbage leaves while in Asia they use Chinese cabbage to wrap seafood, tofu and mushrooms.
- 1 head green cabbage
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 2 small onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 14 oz of canned diced tomatoes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups + 1/3 cup tomato sauce or pasta sauce
- 1 can tomato soup
- Cut approx 1/4″ off the bottom of the head and place the whole head of cabbage in boiling water to remove leaves from the head of cabbage.
- Boil about 2 minutes. Peel off the softened leaves.
- Place remaining head back in the boiling water and repeat until all of the leaves are removed. Remove any tough stems from cooked leaves. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash the rice and cook but reduce cooking time by 5 minutes so the rice is slightly underdone. Set the rice aside.
- After that, cook the beef, pork, onions, diced garlic & seasonings until no pink remains. Drain off any fat.
- Then, add in rice, diced tomatoes, 1/3 cup of tomato/pasta sauce, salt & pepper. Stir in an egg.
- Mix tomato sauce and tomato soup in a bowl. Spread a very thin layer of the tomato sauce mixture in a pan.
- Remove any thick stem on the cabbage leaves. Lay the cabbage leaf flat and add 1/3 cup filling until the centre of the leaf. Fold in the sides and roll the cabbage up.
- Place seam side down in the pan.
- Pour sauce over the processed cabbage and cover it tightly with foil. Bake for around 75 to 90 minutes. Let cool the dish for 15 minutes before serving.