Capati which can be spelled as Chapati, Chappati or Chapathi, is a type of bread from Nepal, India, and Pakistan. The Indian word, Capati means flat and circular. It is usually made from atta flour, but in most places, wheat flour is more preferred. Atta flour is a wholemeal wheat flour originating from the Indian subcontinent. Some level of expertise is required to use atta flour. This is because the flatbread easily becomes hard and cannot be eaten. Thus, wheat flour is an alternative ingredient that is easy to use for a beginner.
In Malaysia, Capati is easily available in any Indian Muslim restaurants throughout the country. It is usually served with sardines curry or chicken curry. The basic ingredients for Capati are wheat flour, water, cooking oil and salt to taste. There are different sizes of Capati in term of diameter and thickness depending on the regions. Capati is usually served during breakfast or afternoon tea. Try this recipe for a tasty and soft Capati even when it is cold.
- 2 cups of wheat flour
- 1 cups of warm water
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- Mix 2 cups of wheat flour with salt in a bowl. Then, add the water gradually while stirring with a spoon. Mix them until it becomes dough-like.
- After it is mixed well, add cooking oil so it will not be sticky. Knead the dough for another 5 minutes.
- Then, leave the dough for 15 minutes by wrapping it with plastic wrapper or saran wrap.
- Knead the dough again with hand. If a soft flatbread is desired, repeat the process for two to three times.
- When ready, shape the dough into 5cm ball-shaped by rolling it with hand.
- To make a thin dough, sprinkle some wheat flour at a clean table and on a rolling pin. Then, press the dough flat and use the rolling pin to create flat circular dough about 6 inches in diameter and 2 mm thickness. While using the rolling pin, some flour can be sprinkled to avoid the dough from sticking to its surface.
- Heat a pan on medium heat. Place the dough on top of the pan and once bubbles form on the dough surface, turn the dough the other side. This frying process usually takes a couple of minutes.
- Serve the hot capati with sardines or chicken curry. Enjoy!