Cha Muc is known as grilled squid in Vietnam. This dish is given the name Cha Muc Ha Long because fresh squids are usually caught in the sea area of Ha Long. So, as you take your first bite, you can taste and feel the freshness of the sea. So good you will surely be a fan.
Now that we brought you this Vietnamese recipe, you can head on to surprise your family members with a plate of delicious cha muc ha long for them to snack while binge-watching movies on Netflix. Enjoy!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1kg fresh squids
- 100grams fat chunk (mo kho)
- 3 bulbs of garlic
- Fish sauce
- Fennel (cay thi la)
- Choose the squid type of dazzlingly shining skin with the white part. Then, carefully remove the ink-bag and gut out its internal organs.
- Rinse them with fresh water and drain off existing water completely. Later, slice its body into 1.5cm thick strips. Set the tentacles aside and slice them into diced shape.
- Then, marinate them into 2 tablespoons of fish sauce, minced garlic and onions. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the fat chunks into diced pieces. Then, clean fennel branches with water. Next, cut them thinly.
- Once that is done, gradually place a decent amount of sliced squids in a pestle and crush in a mortar. While then, add pepper and fat chunks into the grinding mixture. Then, add the diced tentacles into the mixture and stir them well until you have a finely smooth and vicious blending.
- Grease vegetable oil over your palms. Then, scoop out one full tablespoon of the mixture and mould it into a round and flat cake using your greased hands.
- Meanwhile, preheat a saucepan filled with ½ litres of cooking oil. When the oil is heated enough, place them into the pan. Fry them until they turn crispy golden colour. Make sure to turn them upside down to cook on both sides.
- Ready to serve warm with some chilli sauce.
There you have it, a great recipe on Cha Muc Ha Long! This dish is super easy to make, and your family members will surely think that you have upgraded yourself to the level of a chef. You can pimp this dish with several elements like noodles and rice or maybe even fried rice to create a hearty meal. For more delicious Vietnamese recipes, check out our recipes on Vietnamese Seafood Fried Noodles and Banh Mi Cay.
On a side note, if you happen to have no time to prepare any food for your family and friends who are coming over to your place, you can always order food from foodpanda and get them delivered right at your doorstep in no time.