Originating from Nepal, Chatamari (Chatānmari) is a form of rice crepe that is commonly found in the Newars of Kathmandu Valley. The pizza base is a mixture of rice flour and water with toppings to enhance the flavours. It is important that the consistency of the batter is thinner than a pancake.
The dish is a traditional speciality that is consumed during special occasions and festivals. In modern times, it is eaten as a snack and the popularity has spread to other cultures, as well. This popular dish can be found in many restaurants in Kathmandu, which serves Chatamari as an appetiser.
Small stalls or street food vendor will sell Chatamari as a snack or the main meal. The dish is best served hot and freshly cooked. It is also a versatile dish so you can customise the toppings and ingredients to suit your taste and preference.
- 2 cups of rice flour
- 4 – 6 eggs
- ¼ cup of fresh coriander (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp of coriander powder
- ½ onion (finely chopped)
- 1 piece of serrano chilli pepper
- 1 tbsp of garlic-ginger paste
- 4 tbsp of shredded cheese
- 1 tbsp of oil
- 4 cups of water (reduce to 3, if needed)
- 1 cup of chicken (minced)
- 1 tsp of cumin powder
- 1 tsp of red chilli powder
- 1 tsp of regular pepper
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 piece of tomato (diced)
- Start by combining rice flour and water until it becomes a thin batter. Ensure that it is not too watery. Add less or more water, if necessary.
- Use another mixing bowl and combine the meat with cilantro, onion, turmeric powder, cumin-coriander powder, pepper, chilli powder, salt, serrano, ginger-garlic paste and two eggs.
- Place the skillet above the heat and then proceed to heat a tablespoon of oil. The heat should be medium to high heat.
- Proceed to pour the batter and create a circle-like shape (about 6-inch), like a pancake.
- Carry on with adding the herbs mixture on top of the batter. Break a whole egg on top of the herb mixture. Add about a tablespoon of cheese and leave it to cook for about 8 minutes.
- It is ready to be served! Chatamari is best served hot with a sprinkle of cilantro and tomatoes as a garnish.
Discover more food options and order some snacks and drinks using foodpanda! Just a few clicks and your food is on its way.