Chee Cheong Fun, also known as Chang Fen, is one of the food that we must order every time during our dim sum meal. It is generally consumed along with Yong Tau Foo in hawkers outlets, as these steamed rice rolls can pair up with different dressings and sides to emerge as a tasty treat. In this article, we provide you with a homemade recipe of the delicious Chee Cheong Fun.
A step-by-step guide to the Chee Cheong Fun recipe:
You don’t have to follow this recipe strictly, as it is common to use different flour mixture and water ratio to adjust the thickness and elasticity of the rice rolls. It is not the easiest food to prepare, but if you’re up for a challenge, check out this recipe and make Chee Cheong Fun on your own!
Ingredients (for 4 servings):
- 125g rice flour
- 8g corn starch
- 8g wheat starch (tang mein flour)
- 8g tapioca flour
- 1/2tsp sea salt
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 400g water
- Prepare the batter by combining all the flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Stir the mixture evenly with a whisk. Then, slowly whisk in water to form a smooth batter. Cover the bowl and set the mixture aside for 30 minutes.
- Fill a steamer with water and bring it to boil. Next, prepare a round and shallow baking tray which is 25cm in diameter, and line it with a wet cotton cloth that is slightly larger than the tray. Preheat the tray in the steamer for 2 minutes.
- Stir the batter well. Pour a ladle of the batter onto the preheated pan, then swirl the batter around so that it coats the pan evenly. Cover the steamer and cook the rice sheet for 5 minutes until it bubbles.
- Remove the cloth and transfer the cooked rice sheet onto an oiled tray. Leave the rice sheet in the oiled tray for 1 minute. Then, loosen the edge of the rice sheet with a dough scraper and roll the sheet up. Place the rice roll on a serving dish.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 by using the remaining batter. Rinse the cloth each time before making another rice sheet.
- Prior to serving, cut the rice rolls into segments. Enjoy the meal!
There you have it, delicious homemade Chee Cheong Fun for you and your loved ones!
However, if you find it a hassle to prepare your meal at home, you can also order well-prepped meals via foodpanda, and have them delivered right to your doorstep!