Recipe: Cheese Heamul Jeon
Cheese Heamul Jeon is a popular variation of a classic savoury pancake beloved by all Koreans. It is crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 1 cup of seafood assortments such as mussels, shrimp, oysters.
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- Thinly sliced scallions.
- ½ red chilli pepper and green chilli pepper
- 1 egg
For the Pancake Batter
- 1 cup of Korean pancake mix
- 1 teaspoon of garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
For the Dipping Sauce
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 teaspoon of vinegar
- ½ teaspoon of sugar
- Black pepper
- Wash the seafood mix over cold water and drain any excess water with kitchen towel or paper. In a bowl, mix together with sesame oil.
- In a different bowl, make the pancake mixture. Mix in the pancake mix with ¾ cup of water and 1/3 cup of cheese. Beat in an egg into the mixture. Pour in a little water if it is still thick. If you want to make a crispier pajeon, it should be thin. Mix it well.
- Mix in about 2/3 of seafood into the batter.
- In a pan, heat up 2 to 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium heat. Use a ladle to pour in the mixture. Spread it evenly throughout the pan.
- Put the scallions on top of the batter and add the rest of the seafood mix. You can add in a few pepper slices, but that’s optional.
- Scoop up half of a beaten egg to cook on top. Cook it until it is golden brown for about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip it over and add in 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Turn up the heat to a medium to give the pancakes a little crispy edge.
- Press the pancake down with your spatula. Cook it for another 3-4 minutes. Repeat the steps for the rest of the batter and ingredients.
- Cut it into bite-size pieces. Serve while hot with dipping sauce on the side.
- If you do not have the Korean pancake mix, mix in about 2 tablespoons of rice flour, 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and ½ teaspoon of salt.
Carbohydrates: 11.8 grams
Protein: 8.8 grams
Fat: 8.2 grams