Recipe: Cheezy Wedges
Image Credit to: Salaam
Recipe: Cheesy Wedges
In some parts of the United States, potato wedges known as jojos. Jojos are potato wedges cooked in the same vat as chicken and generally consumed directly along with fried chicken, coleslaw and baked beans. Mojos are a variety in spelling and pronunciation, especially in Western Canada, the Western United States, and the Yukon of Canada. The Germans call them Kartoffelspalten (‘potato-clefts’), wilde Kartoffeln (‘Wild potatoes’), Western Kartoffeln (‘Western potatoes’) or Potato Wedges (‘Kartoffelecken’). They are called klyftpotatis (‘wedge-potatoes’) in Sweden. In Russia, they are regarded as картофель по-деревенски (‘Village-style potato’) or картофель по-домашнему (‘ Homestyle potato’). And they are called americké brambory (‘American potatoes’) in the Czech Republic.
Potato wedges are wedges of baked or fried potatoes, often big and unpeeled. We can always easily order this dish at diners and also fast-food restaurants like KFC and Marrybrown. Australians consider this dish as popular bar food, sometimes served with sour cream and sweet chilli sauce. Another option is to use cheese, ketchup, ranch, or honey mustard as to balance the taste with the wedges. You can also season them with spices, mostly paprika, salt and pepper.
So, here you go, a recipe that tastes much like KFC cheesy wedges we so love!
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 2 potatoes (350 g) potatoes, peel potatoes and sliced into wedges
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp White pepper
- 1/2 tbsp Oil
- 5 slices (100 g) American cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 cup Evaporated milk
- 1/2 tbsp Chili sauce
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp white pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Remove the potatoes skin and slice them into wedges. Put into a mixing bowl and season with salt, paprika, pepper and oil. Toss to mix.
- Line baking tray with aluminium foil. Place potatoes in one layer and bake at 200°C for 30 minutes.
- Tear cheese into small pieces into a pot. Add cornstarch. Toss to combine.
- Add 1/2 cup evaporated milk into the pot.
- Cook over low heat, continually stirring with a whisk until melted, bubbly, and thickened (about 5 minutes). The mixture will look thin at first but will thicken after heating.
- Season with chilli sauce, garlic powder, white pepper, and salt. You may want to, thin to desired consistency with additional evaporated milk.
- Pour cheese sauce over baked potato and drizzle with mayonnaise.
Article Written By Mico Hu
Mico is a professional creative writer in Foodpanda. She writes about travel, fashion, and food. Also, she enjoy travelling to new places and also eating delicious food.