Personally, I’m not a fan of avocadoes, but I have got to admit that this dish is an exception. The flavours in this dish is like an explosion in my mouth. The combination of spicy and sour is what makes this dish irresistible.
Moreover, it’s the perfect dish for those trying to eat healthily! The chicken is grilled, which means its oil-free and the avocado salad has a great balance of vegetables that fits the daily nutrient requirements.
Even better, the dish doesn’t take too long to make and is very simple. It is best for dinner or even lunch. Give this dish a try, you will not have any regrets!
- 1 ½ lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts or 4 pieces of chicken breasts
(For the marinade)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 tbsps of olive oil
- ¼ cup of cilantro that are chopped
- Juice from 1 lime
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- ½ teaspoon of salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper or to taste
- 2 avocados, diced
- 2 small or 1 large chopped tomato
- ¼ cup of chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeno, de-seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup of cilantro, finely chopped
- Juice from 1 lime
- Freshly cracked pepper and salt to taste
- In a bowl, whisk all the marinade ingredients together and set it aside.
- Pound the breasts to get even thickness or slice it in half horizontally to get evenly sized breasts and add them to the bowl of marinade. Mix well until the chicken is fully coated with the marinade. Let it marinate for 30 minutes. Some people even let it marinate up to 12 hours. Tip: longer marinade time leads to more flavours absorbed by the meat.
- Grill the chicken over medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes per side or until the inside is fully cooked and the outside is charred. You can use a fork to check if the insides are cooked.
- Top chicken with fresh avocado salsa and serve immediately.
To Make Avocado Salsa
- While the chicken is being grilled, mix all the ingredients for the salsa in a bowl. Then, cover it with a plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge until ready to use. After the chicken is cooked, add the avocado salsa as a topping and serve it.