Chicken curry is a simple and delicious dish. It is usually served with rice but pairs well with bread. Hailing from India, it is a popular dish in Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia. There are many varieties of chicken curry depending on regions. The most common is chicken curry with potatoes. This dish is a must-try meal due to a combination of coconut milk and spices which produce heavenly flavours.
One of the main ingredients is the curry powder. In Malaysia, curry powder is easily available in most grocery stores and supermarkets. All parts of the chickens are used in this dish, as the flavour from the bone and skin adds a rich taste to the gravy. Thus, bone-in chicken thighs and drumsticks are the most preferred part.
The chicken can be marinated with curry paste before cooking to enhance the taste of the meat. Otherwise, just straight-up cooking the chicken will suffice. Potatoes are used to help thicken the gravy and enhance the flavour of curry. Besides potatoes, other vegetables that can be used are tomatoes, peas and long beans.
Chicken curry is a reliable comfort food, especially during cold weather. Try this simple recipe for a creamy and delicious chicken curry.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 500g chicken
- 2 potatoes (peeled and cut into 4 parts)
- 5 curry leaf stalks
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 10 dried chillies (soaked in hot water until soft and remove the seeds)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 red onions
- 3 cm of ginger
- 5 tbsp of meat curry powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 star anises
- 5 cloves
- 5 tbsp of cooking oil
- 400ml of water
- Blend the chillies, garlic cloves, red onions, ginger, and meat curry powder together, until it becomes a fine paste.
- Heat up cooking oil on medium heat in the pot. Add cinnamon sticks, star anise, and cloves, let it cook for 30 seconds.
- Then, add the blended curry paste and keep frying until fragrant.
- Next, add the chicken meat and mix them well to coat the meat with the paste. Keep stirring for 4 minutes until lightly crisp, then add water and turn the heat up.
- Add potatoes and curry leaves. Brings them to a boil then reduce to low heat, let it simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Then, add coconut milk and salt to taste. Keep stirring until it boils and the oil separates.
- Turn off the heat and serve with rice or bread.