Cure your Monday (or any day) blues by indulging in some delicious and crispy Chicken Maryland! This classic American dish consists of fried chicken served with creamy gravy, typically served with a side salad.
If you find yourself craving for some crispy and tender chicken (and why wouldn’t you?), we suggest following the Chicken Maryland recipe below! It will only take you about an hour to prepare with ingredients widely available at any grocer or local supermarket!
- 5 boneless chicken breasts (halved, cut lengthwise)
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cup of breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 9 tbsp butter
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 ½ tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 (dash) tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 ripe bananas (peeled and sliced)
- In a large bowl, start by marinating the chicken pieces in buttermilk. Place the marinade in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 190⁰C. Melt 6 tbsp of butter in a large roasting pan.
- After about an hour, take the marinade out of the refrigerator. Drain and dredge each chicken piece in all-purpose flour, then eggs and lastly breadcrumbs.
- Arrange the chicken pieces on a roasting pan and bake the chicken pieces for 30 – 40 minutes, turning the pieces over in between.
- Bechamel sauce: Melt some butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add in the flour and whisk until it forms a smooth paste.
- Continue whisking for about 2 minutes and then gradually add the milk. Continue whisking and cook until the sauce achieves a smooth and thick consistency.
- Remove the pan from the heat and season with salt and nutmeg.
- For the banana garnish, melt 3 tbsp of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add in the banana slices and sauté until the slices achieve a golden brown.
- Assemble the Chicken Maryland by arranging the chicken pieces on a serving plate, drizzle with some bechamel sauce and top with the sautéed banana.
Chicken Maryland Recipe
There you have it – a simple and delicious Chicken Maryland recipe for your convenience! If you have some leftover pieces of chicken, you can also consider making a Chicken Caesar Sandwich or Ginseng Chicken.
Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks using foodpanda! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.