Recipe: Chicken Porridge
Porridge is a versatile and delicious comfort food. “Bubur campur” is a Malay term which literally means mixed porridge. It is a general term used to describe porridge that has different toppings. There are many varieties of mixed porridge range from sweet dessert to savoury meal.
Some examples of sweet porridge are mixed bean porridge, barley-corn porridge, and wheat porridge. This types of porridge are usually contained coconut milk which gives a sweet and creamy taste. The sweet porridge can be served hot or cold depending on the diner’s preference. There are many other variants depending on the ingredients used and regions. This is usually served with a cup of tea in the evening and also served as a dessert during a feast.
The most famous porridge in Malaysia is rice porridge. It is soft rice that contains various ingredients such as chicken, fish, onions, garlic, and vegetables. Salted egg, spring onion, and fried shallots are usually used to garnish rice porridge. This porridge is usually served for sick people as it is delicious and easy on the digestive system. However, healthy people also enjoy it as it is a fulfilling and tasty meal. It does provide a nice change from the routine plain rice. There are many varieties of rice porridge depending on ingredients. The most well-known and easy to prepare is Chicken Porridge.
Besides that, there are also Seafood Porridge and Beef Porridge which are indicative of the ingredients added to the porridge. This porridge is just good by itself, but also can be eaten with other dishes such as fried vegetables, sambal ikan bilis (anchovies), and sambal udang (prawns).
So, let’s make Chicken Porridge that’s not just healthy but is suitable for the whole family.
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 200g of rice
- 1500ml of water
- 1 piece of chicken breast (cut into pieces)
- 1 red onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 cm ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 cube of chicken stock
- ½ tsp of black pepper powder
- Fried shallots (for garnish)
- 10 cm spring onions (chopped)
- 2 tbsp of cooking oil
- Pour water and rice in a pot and cooked the rice until it turns fluffy.
- In the meantime, heat cooking oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Stir-fry onions, garlic, ginger, and chopped chicken until fragrant.
- Then put all the fried ingredients and chicken stock cube into the pot of boiling rice. Add black pepper powder and salt depending on taste.
- Lower the heat and cover the pot. Let it simmer for 15 minutes or until the porridge thickens slightly.
- Serve hot and garnish with fried shallot and spring onions.
Article Written By Mico Hu
Mico is a professional creative writer in Foodpanda. She writes about travel, fashion, and food. Also, she enjoy travelling to new places and also eating delicious food.