Image Credit: Andy Kato
The Chicken Shogayaki Bento is a kind of bento-type dish that originated from Japan, and it has since become a popular dish all over the world. The term “Shoga” can be referred to as ginger, while the word “yaki” can be defined as grilled or fried. Bentos refer to home-packed meals that are popular in Japanese culture, and it can be likened to a lunchbox in America.
The dish typically uses pork as the primary choice of meat, and it is the second most popular pork dish in Japan, next to the Tonkatsu. The plate is best served hot, paired with some white rice and shredded cabbage. Are you tempted to try this delectable dish? Check out the recipe down below that uses chicken instead of pork to create the dish!
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 2 tbsp of Soy Sauce
- ¼ Cup of Sake
- 2 tbsp of Mirin (Japanese Sweet Rice Wine)
- 1 Piece of Ginger (2-inch, Peeled and Minced)
- 2 tsp of Arrowroot Starch
- 2 tsp of Safflower Oil
- 680g of Boneless Chicken Breast
- 1 tsp of Sesame Oil (Toasted)
- 450g of Asparagus Spears (Trimmed, Cut into Smaller Pieces)
- 6 Pieces of Green Onion (Trimmed, Cut into Smaller Pieces)
- 2 tsp of Sesame Seeds
- In a mixing bowl, start by combining the sake, soy sauce, mirin, ginger and the arrowroot starch with being stirred well until it is well-combined.
- Once it has been thoroughly mixed, toss in the chicken breasts that have been trimmed and cut into smaller pieces, into the mixing bowl. Proceed to ensure that the surface of the chicken has been coated with the sake mixture.
- Turn up the dial to medium heat and place a large skillet above it. Pour the safflower oil and sesame oil into the large skillet.
- Add the chicken breasts that have been combined with the sake mixture into the large skillet. Cover the skillet with a lid.
- Let the chicken be cooked for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Proceed to add some trimmed asparagus into the mix and then cover the skillet with a lid again, to allow it to cook. Let it cook for 3 minutes but take the time to stir it occasionally.
- Then, add some onions into the skillet, followed by tossing and turning the onions to be coated. Cook the onions for about 30 seconds until it has adequately been heated.
- The dish is finished! Serve the Chicken Shogayaki Bento on some plates and then garnish it with some sesame seeds.