The Chinese Pork Meatballs (also known as Lion’s Head Meatballs) is a dish that features savoury and flavourful meatballs. The meatballs pack a combination of light, tender, and moist texture what is simply mouth-watering. The dish is best eaten with white rice as the combination of flavourful meat and starch is simply addictive!
Tempted to try the Chinese Lion’s Head Pork Meatball? Check out the recipe below.
Ingredients for Chinese Lion’s Head Pork Meatballs (4 servings):
- 500 g of Ground Pork
- 3 Tbsp of Light Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp of Salt
- 1 tsp of Ginger
- 1 Tbsp of Cornstarch
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Tbsp of Sesame Oil
- 4 Tbsp of Shaoxing Wine (Japanese Sake)
- 1 tsp of Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp of Sugar
- ½ Cup of Scallion
- 12 water chestnuts
- 100 g of Panko (Japanese Style Breadcrumb)
- 1 Tbsp of Vegetable Oil
- Start making the dish by adding some ground pork into a large bowl, followed by pouring water (4 Tbsp) into the bowl. Stir the ingredients well with a spatula until the water is thoroughly mixed.
- Proceed to add some Shaoxing wine, light soy sauce, salt, sugar dark soy sauce, ginger (grated), scallion and cornstarch into the large bowl. Mix the ingredients well.
- Add the chestnuts and eggs and then mix it a few more times.
- Proceed to add some panko and mixing it. Pour some sesame oil and stir it until it forms a soft paste.
- In a skillet, heat the peanut oil above medium heat until it becomes warm.
- Scoop out ⅓ cup of the meat paste and then shape it into a meatball with your bare hands. Ensure that the meatball is slightly runny, but still able to hold its shape.
- Place about 3 to 4 meatballs in a skillet with a little bit of space in between them. Once the base of the meatballs cooks through, turn them over and cook the rest of the sides. Carry on with doing this until all of the sides turn brown. Transfer the cooked meatballs onto a plate.
- Proceed to add water into a steamer and then add the meatballs onto the steaming rack.
- Bring the heat to over medium-high heat and cover the steamer with a lid until the water begins to boil. Reduce the heat to medium heat and then cook the meatballs covered with the lid for 40 minutes.
- Cook all of the remaining meatballs using the same method.
- The dish is ready to be served! The dish is best served warm with steamed rice as the main part of the meal.
Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks using the foodpanda app! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.