Slow-cooked trotters (also known as pig’s feet) are an immensely popular Chinese dish that one would normally eat with a bowl of steamed rice. The dish is known for its perfect combination of tender, moist and flavourful. Today’s recipe showcases a Chinese Style Slow Cooked Trotters braised in a slightly sweet and savoury sauce.
The recipe may take up a total cooking time of 1 ½ hour. However, the effort is worthwhile as you’ll have a wonderful dish to indulge. Here’s what you’ll need.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 2 pork feet (around 1kg) (each chopped into 6 pieces)
- 4 dried chilli peppers
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 ½ star anise
- 1 ginger (half thickly sliced; the other half coarsely mashed)
- ½ cup green onion
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 3 tbsp Chinese Shaoxing wine
- 2 tsp salt
- Place the pork feet and ginger slices in a large pot. Fill the pot with water until it covers the pork feet.
- Bring the water to a boil for about 3 minutes. Then, discard the water and carefully rinse and wash the pork feet.
- Add the pork feet into the pressure cooker and add water until it completely covers the pork. Cook the pork feet over high heat until the rated pressure is reached.
- Reduce to the lowest heat and cook at rated pressure for another 15 minutes.
- Transfer the pork feet and broth to a wok. Make sure the amount of broth in the wok only almost covers the pork.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and turn the heat to high.
- Once the broth starts to boil, reduce to low heat and let it simmer with the lid covered for another 30 minutes (stir the pork between every 10 minutes to prevent burnt pork on the bottom of the wok).
- Check on the thickness of the broth and the doneness of the pork:
- If the broth is thick, but the pork is still tough, add more water and continue the braising process.
- If the broth is thin, but the pork is soft, turn to medium heat and continue the braising process with the wok uncovered.
9. Transfer to a bowl and serve with a bowl of steamed rice. Enjoy!
Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks using foodpanda! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.