This comfort dish from Chilean is a great meal to have when you require a quick snack or supper while you are binge-watching your favourite Netflix series or even when you’re having a sleepover or gathering. It’s fast, it’s filling, and it’s different than your average French fries.
(For the Fries)
- Six medium potatoes, sliced into long squares
- Two medium onions, thinly sliced
- 5-6 large eggs
- One tablespoon of red wine
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
(For the Steak)
- Two filet-mignon or rib-eye steaks,
- Two tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Three cloves garlic, minced
- Two tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- Two tablespoon sugar
- Combine the ingredients for the steak in a sealed bag and marinate the steak in a refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour. The best time to marinade is for 48 hours (2 days).
- Make sure all the ingredients and the steak is fully coated.
- To prepare the fries, soak the sliced potatoes in water for 30 minutes. While waiting, heat olive oil in a frying pan under medium-low heat and start cooking the marinated steak.
- Cook the steak for about 5-6 minutes on each side until slightly brown and remove them from the heat. Place the steaks on a plate and keep warm.
- On the same pan, sauté the sliced onions for 2 to 3 minutes. Add in the red wine and season with salt and pepper. Remove the onions from the heat and put it in the same plate as the steak.
- To do the fries, put the potatoes in a deep fryer at 180 C for 5 minutes. Make sure to pat the potatoes dry before putting them in the fryer and put the potatoes in batches of 3 to 5 to ensure they cook evenly and don’t turn soggy.
- Once cooked, drain excess oil with paper towels and add salt and pepper to taste.
- To prepare the meal, cut the steak into thin slices and add it back into the pan along with the onion under low temperature. Add the fries to the pan mixture. In a separate pan, crack open the egg and cook it until it reaches the consistency you prefer (sunny side up or fully cooked). Add the egg on top of the fries and serve immediately.