Popular street food that is crispy in the outside and soft in the inside. Churros taste the best when dipped with sweet sauce. The common sweet sauce for churros is the chocolate sauce, raspberry sauce, and vanilla cream.
The traditional churros will have outer ridges which are shaped by the star tipped piping bag. The more defined edges will make the churros crispier. Cinnamon sugar coats the churros before being served.
There are many variations of churros. It can be thin or thick in shape. It can be straight, curly or spirally twisted. There is even a savoury version of churros where it is filled with melted cheese.
It is suitable to serve at any occasions such as birthday party, open house, or even weddings. It has quite simple ingredients and easy method. So, don’t hesitate to make this at home.
Ingredients (18 pieces):
- 250ml water
- 60g unsalted butter (diced into small cubes)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 150g all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Cooking oil
- For coating
- ½ cup of sugar
- ¾ tsp powdered cinnamon
- For chocolate sauce
- 100g dark chocolate (chopped)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- In a saucepan, add water, butter, sugar and salt. Bring them to boil under medium heat.
- Then, reduce the heat and add flour carefully. Stir the mixture constantly until thoroughly mixed.
- Remove from heat and transfer the mixture to mixing bowl. Let it cool down in about 15 minutes.
- Add vanilla and egg to flour mixture and blend immediately with the electric mixer. Blend until the mixture becomes smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a 16-inch piping bag with a star tip.
- Heat cooking oil in the deep frying pan with enough oil to deep fry the churros. Carefully pipe the mixture into about 6-inch lengths, cut them with clean scissors.
- Let it fry for about 2 minutes per side until turn golden brown. Transfer them to a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Meanwhile, mix the sugar and powdered cinnamon in a plate. Roll the churros in the plate and coat it evenly.
- To prepare the chocolate sauce for dipping, place the chopped chocolate in a bowl. Heat up the heavy cream in a small saucepan but do not let it boil. Pour the warm heavy cream into the chopped chocolate. Stir them well.
- Enjoy the churros with chocolate sauce.