The clay pot chicken rice is more flavourful and full of various ingredients compared to the typical chicken rice. The clay pot cooks the rice along with other ingredients and the rice stuck to the pot is crunchy and addictive. This multi-textured dish also has a flavour that’s more in-depth as the ingredients are slow-cooked together within the pot.
The typical accompaniments to the rice are chicken, mushrooms, egg, salted egg, salted fish, and Chinese sausage. However, the menu is different for every clay pot chicken rice. Hence, you can also make the clay pot chicken rice at home as you can customise your meal with the preferred ingredient.
Traditionally, clay pot chicken rice is cooked over a charcoal stove. Nowadays, it is not only a simple clay pot on the gas stove. There are many gadgets available such as pressure cooker and rice cooker that can produce a similar result. However, there are debates as to the flavour as the charcoal gives it a smoky taste that is absent in those cooked over a gas stove or pressure cooker.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 450 g of chicken meat (sliced into 2-inch pieces)
- 1 tbsp of cornstarch
- 3 tsp of Chinese rice wine
- 3 tsp of sesame oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2-inch ginger (thinly sliced)
- 30 g of dried shiitake mushrooms (soaked in hot water and sliced)
- 50 g of sausage (sliced)
- 280 g of white rice (washed and drained)
- 2 tsp of soy sauce
- 2 tsp of sesame oil
- ¾ cup of water
- 100 g of leafy green vegetables (can use bok choy, gai choy or spinach, roughly chopped)
- 1 tbsp of dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp of sesame oil
- Combine the cornstarch, rice wine, sesame oil and salt in a bowl. Mix them thoroughly. Coat the chicken pieces in the mixture and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil using a frying pan and stir fry garlic and ginger until fragrant. Add the marinated chicken and cook until it starts to brown. Then add the mushrooms and sausage. Mix them well for a minute.
- Add the rice to the pan and mix them under high heat. Add light soy sauce and sesame oil while mixing them for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the rice mixture to the clay pot, and add the water. Cover the pot and let it cook under medium heat.
- Cook the ingredient for about an hour and stir the rice occasionally. Then, add the vegetables and let it cook for another 5 minutes under low heat.
- Once done, sprinkle the dark soy sauce and sesame oil over the vegetables and serve.
Interested in other Chinese dishes? Order them now using foodpanda and get them delivered to you!