Fill your home with the fragrant aroma of pandan in the early mornings and enjoy this sweet creamy breakfast. The coconut pandan waffles are not just breakfast foo, but can be consumed as a snack anytime. It is crispy on the outside with a soft and slightly chewy inside which makes this an irresistible snack.
Vietnamese Coconut Pandan Waffles are made with a combination of flour, sugar, coconut milk, and pandan extract. Pandan produces a wonderful aroma and gives these waffles their iconic green colour. In some regions, shredded coconuts are added into the waffles to make it more flavourful.
As these waffles are generally sweet, it is good to eat on its own and does not require any syrup. However, a scoop of ice cream goes well with hot waffle. Besides that, fruits such as strawberry and banana can be eaten together with the waffles for some added nutrients.
Enjoy the flavourful and delicious coconut pandan waffles with this recipe.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 1 ½ cups rice flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 ½ coconut milk
- ¾ tsp pandan extract
- Melt the butter either using a microwave or stove, and then allow it to cool at the side.
- In a large bowl, sift the rice flour, tapioca flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt (dry ingredients).
- In another bowl, add sugar and eggs. Whisk them together until well combined. Then, add the coconut milk, melted butter and pandan extract. Whisk them together thoroughly.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to be mixed with the wet ingredients and combine until mostly mixed. Then, add the remaining dry ingredients and continue whisking until no big lumps can be seen. The batter does not need to be completely smooth and the longer the whisking, the tougher the waffles will be.
- Heat the waffle-maker to its highest settings and put some melted butter to prevent the waffle from sticking to the waffle iron. Pour about 1 cup of batter into the waffle maker and spread the batter evenly. Close the lid and let it cook for about 4 to 5 minutes depending on the waffle iron model.
- Once the waffle is cooked to golden brown, remove the waffle using a fork to be put on the cooling rack.
- Enjoy the waffles while it hot.