Everyone’s heard of dan tarts (egg tarts), and I’m sure everyone has seen Hokkaido cheese tarts floating around malls. But have you ever tried Hong Kong-style coconut tarts? Unlike its egg and cheese tart counterparts, Hong Kong-style coconut tarts are flaky, golden-brown pastries filled with sticky and sweet coconut paste; they are sweet rather than savoury. Often found in local Chinese dim sum restaurants, and Hong Kong bakeries— this is a treat beloved by many! What’s more, the recipe for coconut tart is so easy to make and it only takes a total time of 45 minutes.
One of the main selling points for this snack is the flaky pastry. And trying to perfect this part of the recipe might be the hardest part of all. Always make sure you don’t overmix your ingredients, remember to chill your dough! Overmixing will cause your dough not to be flaky when you bake it; chilled dough is always easier to work with compared to dough that has been left out.
Here is a simple coconut tart recipe for you to try at home!
- 1/3 cup butter (75 g), softened
- 2 tbsp sugar (25 g)
- 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (130 g)
- 1 1/4 cup desiccated coconut (100 g)
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour (8 g)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup sugar (65 g)
- 1/4 cup milk (60 ml), room temperature
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp butter (30 g), melted
- 1 pinch of salt
- Using a spatula, mix the butter and sugar in a bowl. Once mixed well, add in the egg yolk and vanilla extract.
- Add in the flour and continue mixing until it comes together and forms into a dough. Place the dough in cling wrap and press until it’s 1.3cm thick. Leave it to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, take a piece of dough and form it into a ball. Press the dough into a tart mould of 6.5cm, and use a knife to cut off any excess dough. Repeat until finished.
- Place the tart moulds on a baking tray and chill in the fridge.
- In a bowl, add desiccated coconut, flour and baking powder to mix. Once mixed well, set it aside.
- In a separate bowl, add in the rest of the filling ingredients and mix well using a whisk.
- Now combine both mixtures, and whisk until they are mixed well.
Baking & Assembly
- Place the filling in each tart mould.
- Back the tarts in a preheated oven at 190 deg C for 20 minutes, or until the tarts become golden-brown and fully cooked.
- Let the coconut tarts to cool for 10 minutes before attempting to remove them. Serve warm, enjoy!
Are you looking for other kinds of pastries to satisfy your hunger? Why not order from some local bakery and pastry stores on the foodpanda app today! The foodpanda app offers a variety of cuisines and delivers straight to your doorstep.