Recipe: Completo (Hot Dog with Trimmings)
Completo is a hot dog dish that originated from Chile. Unlike the hot dog bun that we are used to, Completo usually comes with Sauerkraut, Avocado, Mayonnaise, Chilean Chilli, Green sauce which is some hot sauce and lime and hot dog of your choice.
What differentiates Completo from our normal hot dog bun is how hearty it is, in a way, the word Completo means complete in Spanish, so it is no wonder that a bite of Completo will leave you feeling complete. It is messy, but it will fill you up, and it is pretty easy to make. Plus, it is a fun meal to have at birthday parties, family barbeque and even a picnic by the river.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 4 hot dogs of choice
- 4 hot dog buns
- 2 whole Avocado
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon of lime juice or half a lime
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of Sauerkraut can also be replaced with lettuce if you are not a fan of Sauerkraut
- 1 chilli, sliced
- ½ teaspoon of hot sauce or Tabasco
- 1 whole tomato, finely chopped
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- A bag of potato wedges to complement your Completo
- Heat the pan with vegetable oil. Once the pan is hot, put the sausages in. Turn the sausages every few minutes to make sure it is cooked through and set aside.
- To prepare the avocado salsa, smash the avocado in a bowl, add some lime juice and salt and pepper to taste, set aside.
- To prepare the Completo, put the sausage in a bun and garnish it with the avocado salsa prepared earlier. Add as much as you like.
- Top your Completo with the finely chopped onion, tomato and a handful of Sauerkraut. If you are not a fan of Sauerkraut, you can replace it with finely diced lettuce. If you are a fan of spicy food, add a garnish of freshly cut chilli.
- Finish your Completo off with mayonnaise, Tabasco sauce and fresh coriander.
- To make your Completo a complete meal, serve it on a plate with a side of crispy potato wedges and a slice of lime. Now that it is a meal, it is time to indulge and make sure you watch where you eat because a Completo is going to be a messy meal!
Article Written By Mico Hu
Mico is a professional creative writer in Foodpanda. She writes about travel, fashion, and food. Also, she enjoy travelling to new places and also eating delicious food.