Recipe: Crispy Fish Skin – If you’ve tried crispy fish skin, you’ll know how it’s almost impossible to stop at one as you sink your teeth into the impeccably deep fried fritters and you’re off to umami heaven.
As fish skin is something that would normally be discarded, frying it would be a great way to have a tasty treat. Crispy fish skins are a perfect light appetizer that could be eaten on its own or act as a crunchy topping on a Japanese-inspired salad. Another option is to serve the crispy skins alongside a tasty salmon tartare. As with most fried food, you’ll want to serve it right away after frying it.
Different kind of fish skins can be used to fry, but the most commonly used and preferred is the salmon skin. We will be showing you how to prepare the crispy fish skin dish by using salmon skin.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- Skin from 1 salmon (any type of salmon you prefer)
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 to 3 tbsp sesame oil
- Soy sauce (for serving)
- With a very sharp knife, slice the salmon skin into 1/4-inch-thick strips from top to bottom. Put the salmon skin strips into a bowl and toss with about 2 tbsp of kosher salt. Set aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pat the salmon skin strips dry with a paper towel. Make sure it is completely dry.
- Add enough vegetable oil in a frying pan or wok to come up about 3/4 inch up the sides. Add the sesame oil and turn the heat to medium-high.
- Once the oil is hot, add the salmon skin to the oil and fry over medium-low heat. Stir them frequently so they don’t stick. It can take a full 10 to 15 minutes for them to crisp up.
- When crispy, drain on paper towels and serve with the soy sauce.
There you have it, Recipe: Crispy Fish Skin that is delicious and beyond addictive! If you find it a hassle to prepare your own snacks, you can always make your order via foodpanda and have them delivered right to your doorstep.