Curry Fish Head is an extremely popular dish in Malaysia. Originated from South India, it uses a combination of different spices and ingredients to create its well accepted bold sour-salty-spicy flavour. The dish is wholesome as it includes vegetable like egg plants, lady fingers, tomatoes, and most importantly fresh fish head.
Curry fish head is best eaten with steamed white rice, as the curry broth and the curry-infused ingredients pair really well with plain rice. Try to make this dish at home for your loved ones by following our Curry Fish Head recipe below!
Ingredients (4 Servings):
- 1 fish head (grouper or red snapper, cleaned and cut into halves, then seasoned with salt)
- 1L water
- 3tbsp oil
- 1/2tsp mustard seeds
- 1 onion (sliced thinly)
1stalk curry leaves (use leaves only)
- 1stalk lemon grass (bruised lightly)
- 2half ripe tomatoes (quartered)
- 200g lady fingers or okra
- 1 red chilli (seeded and halved)
- 1 green chilli (seeded and halved)
- 1/2 tamarind (squeeze juice and mix with 1 1/2 cups fish stock)
- 1/2 a grated coconut (squeeze with 1 cup water for santan)
(A) Mix into a paste with water:
- 2tbsp fish curry powder
- 1/2tbsp chilli paste
- 1/2tsp belacan granules
- 1tsp salt or to taste
- 1tsp chicken stock granules
- 1/2tsp sugar
- 1stalk spring onion
- 2stalks coriander leaves (cut into 3cm lengths)
- Bring water to a boil. Put in fish head to half cook it. Dish out and drain. Reserve the stock to be used later.
- Heat oil in a wok and saute mustard seeds until they pop, then add ingredients (A) and fry till oil rises to the top. Add onions, curry leaves and lemon grass and continue to stir-fry.
- Pour in tamarind juice and bring to a boil. Stir in santan, tomatoes, lady’s fingers, and red and green chillies. Simmer until gravy comes to a low boil.
- Add in fish head and seasoning. Bring to boil over a medium high heat. Dish out and serve with garnishing. Enjoy!
What’s better than to enjoy a deliciously home cooked dish at home with your loved ones? Make sure to try this recipe at home!
If you find it too much of a hassle to prepare your own, you can always order well-prepped dishes on foodpanda, and have them delivered right to your doorstep. Save the hassle, and your time!