Dakbulgogi is a Korean twist on BBQ chicken. Dak means chicken in Korean, while bulgogi translates to fire meat, where the meat is either barbequed, grilled or pan-fried for home-cooking. Lastly, the dish is garnished with spring onions and sesame seeds for added colour and taste.
You can enjoy this dish with a bowl of fresh salad on the side, kimchi or even with steamed rice. This dish is a Korean delicacy that has become well-known in many Asian countries. While today’s recipe uses chicken, you are welcome to use beef or pork as a substitute.
Some extra tips for you: let the chicken marinate overnight to get maximum flavour and tenderness. Besides that, if you have a preference for spicy food, you can even add a few tablespoons of gochujang (Korean red pepper paste) into the marinade for an extra spicy kick to your Dakbulgogi. However, this is entirely optional.
This dish is relatively simple to make and should take around 30 minutes to cook. Here is the list of ingredients you’ll need:
- 450g boneless chicken thigh
- Vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 5 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp rice wine/mirin
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Black pepper
- 1 spring onion
- Sesame seeds
- Prepare the chicken by cutting into bite-sized pieces.
- To make the marinade, combine all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Make sure the brown sugar is completely dissolved.
- Place the chicken pieces into the mixing bowl and cover with a plastic wrap. For maximum flavour, leave the marinade in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
- Preheat a pan with some vegetable oil under medium-high heat.
- Sizzle both sides of the chicken until the chicken is cooked through. Keep an eye on the chicken as the sugar and honey from the marinade will burn easily.
- In a separate saucepan, cook the leftover marinade over medium-high heat. (As an alternative, you may add the marinade onto the chicken by tablespoons as the pan gets dry.)
- Serve the chicken pieces onto a plate and glaze the sauce over the chicken. Sprinkle some chopped spring onions and sesame seeds as garnish. Enjoy!
Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks using foodpanda! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.