Deep-fried cheesy tofu is an excellent choice of appetiser or snack. The light texture of the tofu wrapped in a golden and slightly crisp exterior. The snack pairs well with a spicy or sour dipping sauce, which can either be tomato sauce, sweet chilli sauce, or barbecue sauce. This dish is the definition of simplicity at its best!
Tofu is a food made from soy milk. The condensed soy milk pressed into solid, white blocks. The process of making tofu is almost similar to the way that cheese is made from milk. Tofu comes in various textures. The texture can be soft or firm with different subcategories. So, it is essential to choose the correct texture of tofu to make this dish. The soft, silky tofu is creamy and usually used in sauces, dressings, or soups. Firm tofu, on the other hand, is best for stir-frying or grilling, and are generally sold in blocks.
Most people don’t like tofu as they claim it tastes bland. However, you only need to sprinkle some seasonings, and it will taste amazing. The common seasonings for tofu are salt, black pepper powder, garlic powder, and chilli powder.
You can see that tofu is usually submerged in water when sold in local markets. This is to keep the tofu fresh. Therefore, you need to press the water out from tofu if you want to stir-fry them or it will become soggy.
Make this crispy deep-fried cheesy tofu and serve it as a snack or side dish. Here’s what you’ll need:
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 2 blocks extra firm tofu
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 slice processed cheese (cut into 4)
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- ½ cup flour
- 1 egg (whisked)
- 1 cup cooking oil
- Dry the tofu with paper towels and cut them into halved or triangle shaped. Make sure to squeeze out the mixture and cut an opening in the centre.
- Then, sprinkle 1 tsp black pepper powder and salt over the tofu.
- Put the cheese slices in the middle.
- In a bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, ½ tsp black pepper powder, and grated parmesan cheese.
- Roll the tofu in flour, and then dip into the whisked egg. After that, roll it in the breadcrumbs mixture. Place it aside.
- Heat cooking oil in the frying pan. Place the coated tofu in the oil. Fry each side of the tofu for about 2 minutes, or until it turns golden brown.
- Then, remove and placed on top of the paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Serve with some sweet chilli sauce. Enjoy!
Check out our recipes made easy for Ma Po Tofu and Tofu with Dried Shrimps and Onion. Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks using the foodpanda app! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.